Seedless Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
I have a chance to get seedless grapes (red, green and purple) from the local Super Market. They are in very good shape, most of them being edible. Are they any good for wine? Any good recipies?

I know I see the Thompsons available as a juice and also in grapes and this is usually used for blending but I bet with some playing it could be a decent wine by itself. It will probably need some sugar to bring the brix up.

You can make wine from almost anything, seedless grapes included. They aren't ideal, but you just adjust the must to the right amounts of things and it works alright. Not sure how the taste would be since that would depend on what varieties the grapes were. You will likely need to add some tannins and probably acid. Good luck if you try it and let us know how it progresses.

It likely won't make a great wine, but maybe an OK one.
Rather than make a stand alone of it, consider blending other fruits with it to make something like a mist wine.

Blackberries, cherries, and other should blend well with it.

smiley32.gif
Right on! The 3 guys I expected to answer!! Thanks. I think I will try Richard's suggestion. I have some black berries in the freezer. I also have some chokecherry juice but I don't think that would be a very good additive. I'll have to ask my friend in the produce dept if he has any plums. I am delivering some wine to him this PM!!

Good idea, Waldo. I haven't started anything yet. I'm waiting to see if I can get some plums. I have been in the store squeezing and bruising them. (Not really, but that's a pretty good idea)

Talk to the produce manager hanna, tell him you are wanting some plums to make some wine.Ask him to save those for you he pulls from the display and you will come pick them up.Further entice him with a promise of a couple of bottles when ready

Waldo, He already has a few bottles of wine. He is aware that I need some plums so I am patiently waiting. Going to go see him tomorrow.

The guy doesn't know how the game works. Tell him there is wine for him when you get some plums! He will figure if he doesn't give them to you, that you will give him more. He will keep that up until you get sick of the game and give up. You are in control. You have the wine.

Then again, do you have some small grandkids around you can take shopping? OOppss, sorry about that Mr Produce Guy!

smiley12.gif
I checked the plums yesterday and I think they are starting to look like wine plums. I'll have to put out a picket saying "don't buy the plums"!!

I made 6 gallons of wine form the red seedless grapes adding nothing but the usual> After I had added everything but the yeast, I got called away for a few days. When I came back, it was fermenting on its own. So I didn't add any yeast and just let it ferment to 0.090! I cleared it with super kleer and filtered it and just let it be in the carboy. I tasted it the other day and it is going to be a great tasting wine! Is it unusual for wine to ferment without adding yeast??

I made 6 gallons of wine form the red seedless grapes adding nothing but the usual> After I had added everything but the yeast, I got called away for a few days. When I came back, it was fermenting on its own. So I didn't add any yeast and just let it ferment to 0.090! I cleared it with super kleer and filtered it and just let it be in the carboy. I tasted it the other day and it is going to be a great tasting wine! Is it unusual for wine to ferment without adding yeast??

If you did not add any Campden tablets or k meta, that is quite the usual way of things. Wild yeast did their thing!

I have 10 gallons of seedless grape/Welch's white concentrate rose clearing naturally now. If you want to add something nice, try aging with a French Oak Medium Dark Toast spiroll for a couple-three weeks in it. Mmmm!

I did add K-meta when I added the other ingredients before I left. I added more (1/4 tsp) when it was done fermemting. I added sorbate after filtering and it is now bulk aging in the carboy!

Barney there are a number of folks that make Dago Red using just wild yeast. Then there are others on here like Sirs that goes 100% natural with no additives or yeast and makes great wine. There is risk to it on not having the wine take off amongst other things but it can and is being done successfully.

Hey Barney you need to change you signature from Appleman to grapemen now. LOL great to see you posting again.

I've been trying to do that but haven't had any success (computer illiterate)! I guess I'll have to have Rich (or you) do it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back