sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geri

Junior
Reaction score
I just tried my wine made last fall and there is something in the bottom of the bottles. Looks like sediment and something growing. Is this ok? I did all the steps to sanitize, etc. What is it and is the wine ok to drink?
smiley11.gif

Sediment in the bottles is very common especially if you didn t bulk age for at least 4 months from when it was done fermenting. We would need to see a really good pic to see what you mean by something growing. Is this stuff crunchy as that would then be most likely wine diamonds meaning that it is tartaric acid that fell out of suspension meaning that the juices you used were of very good quality. If it is just soft stuff that is easily disturbed its just lees and even if you used a fining agent this is very common What was this wine made from.

What kind of wine and from who?
How does it TASTE?

adding to what the others have said......even w some aging one of the questions would be...how did you rack into the bottles...did you by any chance lift your carboy and pour into a funnel and into the bottles?

Thx for your help. This wine was made from my own grapes, which I think are Concord. The wine tastes pretty good, a little sharp yet,I think it will be even better in another year,the color is beautiful Rosa. I
syphoned the wine into the bottles with the bottling tube. I didnt examine the stuff in the bottom, but I will, to see if its crystals or soft. Think its ok to drink??

Nothing that can hurt you can live in alcohol, if that's what you are asking. Drink away.
smiley1.gif

It'll be fine! Another train of thought here, did you rack your wine to a clean carboy before bottling? Lots of people bottle their wine from a carboy with sediment on the bottom and that should not be done cause one slight move of the racking cane can disturb these lees and when its a darker wine you wouldnt even know this happened so youd be siphoning up some sediment into bottles.

LOL - sure, but it's not really my line. I think Charlie Papazian said something similar in his brewing books.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back