saving sanitation solution?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeptp75

Junior
Reaction score
Have my first batch in the secondary fermenter as we speak. As we get to the point were I need to be checking the specific gravity every two days till it gets to a certain point. I am mixing a new gallon of sanatizer solution all the time. Can I save it in a spray bottle or something and spray it on and wash stuff as needed during the process?

Yup. As long as it's in a sealed container it will last for months. Even an open container will last a while but have actually had mold grow on the surface of a bucket because it was open and not enough k-meta

What type of sanitizing solution? All I have currently is Campden tablets. I was wondering this myself. Does it stay effective or lose it's potency?

Hrm, okay, got that. Very helpful, thank you!
Where can I find the amounts/ratios for this solution?

I don't know how this will go down, but for some years (making beer) I have been doing this:-
I keep a bottle of sanitising solution in the pantry. When I finish a bottle of beer/wine, I rinse the bottle and add a shot of sanitizing solution(not too accurate just about) and recap using the old cap. (I use screw caps on wine)
When it comes time to bottle, I give the bottle a shake. Remove and throw the cap away. Pour the sanitizing solution into a jug/bucket, and fill the bottle.
Once all of the bottles are full and demijohn/fermenter are empty, I wash the demijohn/fermenter and add the sanitizing solution to the demijohn/fermenter.
You can test the sanitiser by putting your nose into the jug/bucket. If you get whiplash then it is still good.

Recycles the sanitiser, and saves on the cleaning.

Just made up a solution, and WOW! I totally get what Wellington Toad meant about whiplash!

Jojabri,
Thanks for that you have brightened up my day. I have just been sitting here chuckling away.

Does anybody use Star San sanitizer in this manner?

I couldn't stand the smell of K-meta, and I had bad luck with using Iodine, so I found my way to Star San and I love it! Anyway.....I picked up a big bottle at my LHBS today and the lady there asked me if I was saving my solution. She said that she saves K-Meta but Star San was recommended to her for beer brewing, and she wasn't sure if she could make some and save it.

I didn't have a answer because I hadn't ever thought of it. I have been making a new solution every time I needed it DOH!:slp

So definitely let me know if you have had experience saving Star San. I would definitely find this easier.....at least to have a spray bottle or something for equipment.

THANKS!
Rosa

P.S. We're talking about making a batch and saving some unused solution for sanitizing equipment at a later date. Not re-using the same sanitizing solution again and again.

Last edited:
P.S. We're talking about making a batch and saving some unused solution for sanitizing equipment at a later date. Not re-using the same sanitizing solution again and again.

I do this. I usually make up a 2 gallon batch with distilled water (I have really hard water where I am) and toss 1gal back into the water container and label it. I'll put some of it into a spray bottle and hold onto it for awhile..

I have no idea how long it lasts, and don't have any hard data, but I read at one point it has something to do with the pH... as long as it is below a certain value the solution is good. I'll keep sanitizer for the duration of the primary-secondary of a batch, then toss it, usually.

I make five gallons of starsan (actually only about 4 or so) in a bucket. I place a lid on it when I am not using it and it lasts a good while. I am comfortable using it for three weeks. I could probably use it longer.

I use distilled water to mix starsan. It lasts much longer for me. If I use city water it turns cloudy in a couple weeks. With distilled it stays clear a long time. Not really sure if it maters but I don't like cloudy solution.

Jim

I was once told that if the pH is 3.2 or lower you're ok to use. Some people say it's good until it turns cloudy. When I was using StarSan, I've switched to KMeta, for my small operation I'd make a gallon at a time and change it out every 4 weeks or so. I used city water.

BC... I love the smell of KMeta in the morning. Not really.

Latest posts

Back