Satsuma Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
Someone gave me 5 gallons of satsumas, so I started a batch of satsuma wine last night. Anyone make satsuma wine before?

Yes. Used a variation on this recipe. My notes say I had to add acid blend to get the pH down to 3.7. I also added boiled water of 2 bananas for body. It is not my best wine, but that probably has more to do with the winemaker and recipe than the fruit.

Next time I thought I would 1) use more fruit; 2) get the pH down a lot more, probably in the 3.3 range; 3) ferment it on the rinds so that as the alcohol is produced it extracts some of the oils from the rinds.

Could you post your recipe please?

Can you provide some details. I am starting several batches with different recipes to try and settle on one recipe for the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This was LA's last post from back in 2014. Havn't heard from him/her since. @Stressbaby is still around tho. Maybe he will jump on and let you know how it went and what he used for a recipe. Arne.

@Arne, happy do do so.

This is not my original recipe. This is my original recipe, tweaked in the way I would do it now.

2 pint (~1 L) of freshly squeezed Satsuma or Tangerine orange juice
Satsuma zest
2 lbs. (1.1 kg) cane sugar
6 pints (3.1 L) water
2 bananas boiled in 1 pint water, strained
1/8 tsp tannin
1 Campden Tablet (crushed and dissolved)
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1t citric acid*
1 tsp. yeast nutrient

Zest the oranges as best you can (satsumas can be hard to zest in my experience), then juice the oranges with a juicer. Add juice, zest, water, banana water, and Campden tablet to the juice. Stir in and completely dissolve the sugar. After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme. *After another 12 hours, check the pH and add enough citric acid to get the pH down to 3.3 or so. Pitch yeast. Step feed the nutrient. When down to 1.010 or less rack to carboy and usual care after that.

Three other optional tweaks to consider: First, if you have additional zest or could reserve some zest for the secondary, I would use some additional zest for a month in the secondary after the second racking. Next, bentonite on day 3 in the primary probably will help this wine clear. Finally, I've been pleased with those fruit wines in which I've combined white grape concentrate with banana water for body - so adding 1 can of Welch's/Niagra (or 1 cup Alexander's Sauv Blanc) would be a good tweak as well.

Edited to remove link to @Johnd thread, as he jumped in and beat me to it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back