Sanitizing (I am confused)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs26ja

Reaction score
I am confused about sanitizing. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
In my first wine kit I used B-Brite as cleanser. I used 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water. The problem is I didn’t rinse it off. I then used 14 Campden tablets to ½ gallon of water as a sanitizer and didn’t rinse that either.<O:p></O:p>
The wine kit fermented fine 1.072 to .994<O:p></O:p>
I transferred into the secondary a couple of days ago. This time I also cleaned with B-Brite but this time Irinsed and used 14 Campden tablets in a ½ gallon of water to sanitize and did not rinse. When watching George’s video’s, I didn’t see or hear him say anything about rinsing.<O:p></O:p>
Our local wine/beer supply store person told me to just use B-Brite 1 tablespoon to 1 gallon of water to clean and sanitize everything. Then rinse everything in cold water before starting.<O:p></O:p>
I can't find anything on line that says B-Brite is a sanitizer.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
I tasted the wine after I transferred to the secondary and it was yucky. <O:p></O:p>
I know I sound like an idiot, this is my first kit and I guess between reading the kit directions, watching George’s video’s on this site and my local wine/beer supply persons input I got confused.
Should I start over?

Ron<O:p></O:p>

First of all B-Brite is not a sanitizer. It cleans the surface and will generally get rid of most of the bacteria, but officially it is not a sanitizer. While it is true you don't want a heavy residue left, rinsing is not necessary. If I have washed and soaked using b-brite, it will remove things very well including stains in the plastic bucket. I drain the item for a couple minutes and then give it a rinsing. Why? Because if you don't you will get a white buildup after a while. Since I sanitize after, I don't worry about any bacteria I may get from the rinse water. I use potassium metabisulfite for sanitizing because it is much easier than crushing all those campden tablets(they are potassium metabisulfite anyways). Use a couple tablespoons per gallon and use only enough of it to coat things. Store the rest in a closed gallon jug. It will last for months and remain good. Once I have coated what I want sanitized, I just let it drip and air dry. Do not rinse this, that removes the active ingredient and may introduce s afew bacteria back on the item.

A lot of us here use a spritzing spray bottle, like a windex type container. Don't use one that has had harshe chemicals in before. You can buy new ones cheap most big box stores. Put the potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) in the spray bottle and spray the item. Let drain and you are done.

No don't start over. It typically won't taste all that great at this point. You can sometimes get hints of what it will be like, but face it, it is like eating a meal before it's cooked (sometimes really good and others not so good).

Thanks Appleman, you have been very helpful on this site to myself and many others.

I will have to agree with rrs26ja. Appleman is very helpful.
smiley4.gif

I don't know where that guy got 14 campden tablets to a 1/2 gallon water.
Stick with this group to answer your questions. Applemen is giving the right info.
smiley20.gif

14 tablets is only 1 tsp and the correct amount per 1/2 gallon is 28 minimum to 42.

Thats why I use potassium metabisulfite.
Been so long using tablets I forgot how many you really need..
smiley36.gif

Nothing we use can be truely classed as a "hard surface sanitizer." There are legal definitions that our chemicals don't meet. In the wine making arena (very different from beer) a solution of 3 TB sodium metabisulfite (K-meta) per gallon is considered our sanitizer. It inhibits the growth of harmful organisms, which is what we are after. It does not sanitize the surface, i.e. kill 99.999% of all organisms. Rinse everything with the K-meta solution and do not rinse.

I have been using a spray bottle with K-met. Do I need to wipe things (i.e. spoon, thief, hydrometer, hydrometer glass) or air dry before use or can I use them as soon as I have sprayed?

Depending on how strong yourmixis I would just make sure it drips off. No need to air dry

1 tbs / gal. Yes, I have been shaking it off but there are always some beads of liquid left.

That's OK no problem.

Let us know how your wine comes out.

Not sure that is sanitizer strength there, there is a reason Im sure that it is recommended at 3 tbs per gallon.

tepe said:
I don't know where that guy got 14 campden tablets to a 1/2 gallon water.</font>
Stick with this group to answer your questions. Applemen is giving the right info.</font>
smiley20.gif
</font>

I have been using a similar recipe, only i was using 14 per gallon. i found this on a couple sites, (below).
Since i have alot of them, and want to use them up before they go bad let's take an informal poll on the formula.
Using wades thoughts i'm thinking the middle of the road and going with 36 per half gallon.

what does everyone think??

14 tabs
http://www.winecellarsupply.com/4wisa.html
funny this one is identical, someone plagerized
http://www.grapestompers.com/sanitation.asp (notes there is no consensus on the exact recipe)

16 tabs
http://www.eckraus.com/PS115.html

wade said:
Not sure that is sanitizer strength there, there is a reason Im sure that it is recommended at 3 tbs per gallon.

Sorry, I actually use 2oz per gallon. Does that equal 3 tbs? Thanks for the catch Wade.

2 ozs is roughly 3 tbls so you are good. Are just trying to keep us on our toes?
smiley4.gif

PeterZ said:
Nothing we use can be truely classed as a "hard surface sanitizer." There are legal definitions that our chemicals don't meet. In the wine making arena (very different from beer) a solution of 3 TB sodium metabisulfite (K-meta) per gallon is considered our sanitizer. It inhibits the growth of harmful organisms, which is what we are after. It does not sanitize the surface, i.e. kill 99.999% of all organisms. Rinse everything with the K-meta solution and do not rinse.

sodium metabisulfite = Na-meta

wade said:
2 ozs is roughly 3 tbls so you are good. Are just trying to keep us on our toes?
smiley4.gif

You know, there are just so many little things. I'm glad you are watching.

Latest posts

Back