sanitize

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a great start but you should always soak in a tub of hot water with some oxyclean or other non chlorine cleaner. Use a bottle brush as well. Rinse a couple of times then use a bottle blaster for 10-15 seconds after that for a 3rd and final rinse.

Like Mike said, it needs to be cleaned with a true cleaner.

How much of oxi clean to use for 1 gallon or for 5 gallon.
Thats a great start but you should always soak in a tub of hot water with some oxyclean or other non chlorine cleaner. Use a bottle brush as well. Rinse a couple of times then use a bottle blaster for 10-15 seconds after that for a 3rd and final rinse.

How much of oxi clean to use for 1 gallon or for 5 gallon.

Not exact, but for a gallon I'd use about 1/3 scoop. For 5 gallons, I'd use about 1 scoop. Just what ever it takes to get a good soapiness going.

I never rinse for fear of re-contamination.

+1

I do the same as others have said: One Step for cleaning and then Star San from a spray bottle for sanitizing.

Even though the OneStep claims that you don't need to rinse it and that it sanitizes, I have found it can leave a residue, so I rinse it well and then spray with Star San before use. I usually give the Star San a few minutes to air dry on utensils before use and rest the carboys/bottles on a stand or on their sides to pour out as much excess solution as possible as they dry.

I also have some PBW around for any heavy-duty cleaning needs that arise, but I have only used it once and hope not to need it again soon. :p

+2 for everything MinVan said. I also use pbw for heavy duty cleaning like soaking my filters when I am done using them. Even with those though I have switched over to just using oxy-clean unless I am doing a red. I still probably don't need it for the reds but for a $50.00 filter cartridge I want to keep it in the best shape.

I use One-Step for sanitizing. Is this enough? I pour it into the carboy or bottle shake for 10 seconds or so and use????????

Back