Sanitize or sterilize

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been taught the proper word is "sanitize" when referring to cleaning equipment. I have been hearing people use the word "sterilize" more and more in wine making videos. Am I crazy or is sanitize in fact the correct terminology? After all we are not performing surgery.

Sanitize is correct. Rice guy will provide the details. Only boiling will sterilize in the home environment and not sure how sterile.

Sanitize is correct. Rice guy will provide the details. Only boiling will sterilize in the home environment and not sure how sterile.
And I agree completely. Just watched four videos of Matt from Label Peelers and Matteo from FWK. They used the word sterilize through out and it was like nails on a chalkboard.

Doesn't really matter what you call it, Just make sure you do it!

Sterilise is the word that was used when the home winemaking boom took off in UK in CJJ Berry's time, way back last century.

Doesn't really matter what you call it, Just make sure you do it!
Overall I agree with your sentiment, but as I work a lot with beginners, I find it important to use the correct terminology. Take sulfite for instance -- occasionally someone will mention potassium sulfate, which is a completely different and completely inappropriate compound. I (and numerous others) correct the usage to prevent a beginner from taking it at face value and ruining their wine.

For that reason I fully admit to being pedantic on the subject. ;)

Latest posts

Back