Sanitize the Buon Vino?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinividivici

Reaction score
I'm ready to bottle and got my Buon Vino last week. Thinking about running some k-meta from a gallon jug through the filler a couple of times to sanitize.

Being lazy, I'm hoping someone will tell me there's no need to do that. :D

Bob

YES you should sanitize it before bottling. DO NOT sanitize it and put it away when you're done. Just clean it could with whatever cleaner you use. I ruined mine by running kmeta through it and putting it away.

It takes like all of 2 seconds. Get 2 gallon jugs or pails and fill one with fresh water and one with K Meta solution. Run the sanitizer first then rinse with the water. Compared to the rest of the winemaking process it's really easy!

take the small hose off the filter part and run sanitizing thru that spray the filter pad walls and your done.
Like Dan said aftr finished I run HOT water thru it and drip dry

My "Mal" Vino Experience

I sanitized it per the suggestion of sucking k-meta through it and then sucking a couple of litres of hot water through it.

Then the fun began. I started filling the first bottle and the valve didn't pop up. I lifted it up when I saw wine going through the overflow tube. Then, I removed the BV from the bottle, thinking there was some head space due to the displacement by the tube.

Wrong! When I corked the bottle with a floor corker, the bottle exploded and I had glass and 750 ml of wine on the floor. I guess the wine filled the entire neck and the pressure of the corking did it in.

"Buon" turned to "mal" and I felt like hitting the thing with a sledge hammer. After cleaning up, I finished the rest of the bottles. I had to lift the valve up about every two of three fillings.

The instructions mention this, but advise setting the regulator for the particular filling of the bottles. Well, that won't work when I've got an assortment of wine bottles with different heights, etc.

Then, to add insult to injury, when I tried cleaning it out after bottling, I couldn't get any suction on the $%# thing. I tried with the valve down and also up. I checked the anti-sediment tip and it was clear. I removed the plastic tip and blew hard into the tubing. Nothing. Then after a few more lung-collapsing suction attempts, it finally started flowing.

My spigot and tube filling method on my batch last month went easier than this.

Maybe my expectations were too high that this would work without any problems...

Cheers!
Bob

Well that just sucks........... I have never had any issues with mine when I used it. Maybe call the supplier. You may have gotten a bad one. I have heard reports of a few of this new style having issues like that. Check into it.

Then the fun began. I started filling the first bottle and the valve didn't pop up. I lifted it up when I saw wine going through the overflow tube. Then, I removed the BV from the bottle, thinking there was some head space due to the displacement by the tube.I also have had this issue. Did you adjust the screw on the side to make it more sensitive? Also the black tube on the bottom adjusts to fill your bottle to the right hieght. I must say when i use mine, my fingers were always on the pop up and as soon as I felt resistance I helped it lift up.

Wrong! When I corked the bottle with a floor corker, the bottle exploded and I had glass and 750 ml of wine on the floor. I guess the wine filled the entire neck and the pressure of the corking did it in. Thats the first I ever heard of a bottle exploding on corking. Sorry to hear that. Glad you didn't get hurt.

"Buon" turned to "mal" and I felt like hitting the thing with a sledge hammer. After cleaning up, I finished the rest of the bottles. I had to lift the valve up about every two of three fillings. As I mentioned above I was ready to do this on every bottle.

The instructions mention this, but advise setting the regulator for the particular filling of the bottles. Well, that won't work when I've got an assortment of wine bottles with different heights, etc.I found once I set it, it worked for almost every bottle.

Then, to add insult to injury, when I tried cleaning it out after bottling, I couldn't get any suction on the $%# thing. I tried with the valve down and also up. I checked the anti-sediment tip and it was clear. I removed the plastic tip and blew hard into the tubing. Nothing. Then after a few more lung-collapsing suction attempts, it finally started flowing.LOL Again been there done that. The main bottle has to be higher as you know and to start the siphon the main part has to be sitting on a bottle of some sort to creat a vacuum. A carboy has too much space. A 2 liter bottle is about the largest I use when cleaning it.

Maybe my expectations were too high that this would work without any problems...

Cheers!
Bob

Bob, really once you get the process down this is a great tool. I have a crate that holds 32 bottles and I can just move from one bottle to the next. Once they are all filled which really doesn't take that long, I go back and cork everything. Wade and others have taken this to the next level and hook a vacuum pump up to the over flowtube.

Yep, used mine for years with no problems. I still have it and will be giving it to a friend who got me into wine making. He doesnt have much money, doesnt make much wine altough I kn ow we can get plenty of a few fruits free every year and just not having the right tools to make wine makes it much more of a chore and thats probably why e doesnt make much. I gave him one of my pumps also a few weeks ago.

The Buon Vino is not perfect but its about the best for the $$$. Keep the set screw adjusted outward so it pops easier instead of harder. Mine popped easy at first but now it doesn't so much (hmmmm sounds sorta familiar.....)

You found out the hard way unfortunately that you have to eyeball the level each time with a cork to see if the level is too high....... :d

Latest posts

Back