Sanitize hose and auto filler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLS

Reaction score
Before raking or filling bottle, How about if I make 1 gallon of K-Meta and ran it through the vacuum pump and the Buon Vino super automatic auto filler, that should sanitize all hose and auto filler, correct ?

What do you think?

Thanks

I saw this about rinsing with water “don’t wash the k-meta off as you are re-introducing bacteria”
Yes, but don't forget to rinse the KMBS with a gallon of fresh water after.

Just know that you will raise your SO2 levels ~10-15ppm in 6 gallons which is about like giving your wine another 1/4 tsp of sulfite powder.

Mike. Won't that increase just affect your first couple of bottles?

What should I do, rinse anyway? What about re-introducing bacteria:fsh
Just know that you will raise your SO2 levels ~10-15ppm in 6 gallons which is about like giving your wine another 1/4 tsp of sulfite powder.

Yikes!

I thought he was filtering the whole batch first! Yea, if your filtering and bottling in the same step those first couple of bottles are going to be pretty potent.....

I would definitely rinse with clean, chlorine free water after running K-Meta solution through.

Mike. Won't that increase just affect your first couple of bottles?

I would do as Mike says and rinse with clear water to avoid the extra k-meta.
Question, why are you even filtering one gallon. If it is that bad that you feel it needs filtering maybe you just need to age it some more and let it clear on its own. For just home use I would not bother filtering one gallon. If this is to be given away or entered in a competition then filtering is good.

Now with that said regardless of what you do with your filter the first 1/2 bottle or more will be diluted with either k-meta or water. You will need to decide whether to dump it out, drink it or do what I do and dump it back into the main carboy to blend back in with it.

Yes definitely rinse with clean water. Not enough bacteria if any to worry about. Just don't use swamp water. If you are worried about it, use distilled water, but that isn't necessary sanitation wise.

Latest posts

Back