Safety Warning

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone thinking of putting in the earth anchors with the attachment for a post hole auger here is a safety warning!!!!!!

DO NOT LET ANYONE NEAR THE AUGER!!!!!!!!!

I recently purchased the attachment for a post hole auger to install the earth anchors easier than trying to screw them in with a bar. After getting the right sized bolts to attach the device, I went out to screw in just a half dozen of the 42 inch by 3/4" augers (6 inch bottom auger). Not using one before and with no directions, I bolted the earth anchor to the attachment and lowered it onto the spot for it to go. Checking for placement , I eased the pto in gear.CLANGEDY BANG, BOOM, BOOM, CLUNK. Quick turn that sucker off. It flipped up in the air and whirled around to maim anyone in it's path. If I had someone there to steady the digger, it would have amputated their legs I am sure.

DO NOT LET ANYONE NEAR THESE DEVICES WHILE IN USE.!

I cannot believe they let these things on the market without extreme warnings!. They also don't work all that well. I only tried to set 6 of them and twisted two right off! I wish I had bought all of the stone earth anchors. They are a couple buckes extra, but if I break one for every three they are the same price and I didn't need to spend $55 for a dangerous attachment.

I hope I have saved at least one person from severe injury or death with this warning.

I rate this device
smiley21.gif
smiley21.gif
smiley21.gif
smiley21.gif
smiley21.gif

Man, can you get your money back at least on this inferior product.

Was that a one-man or two-man auger? You'd be amazed at the kind of power contained in the two-man versions. And it's only a two-man operation because the 2nd guy stands on top to help steady the machine.

To be fair, I have seen landscapers use the kind of auger you've described to dig big (like 2' diameter) holes for trees/large bushes and do it quickly and efficiently. But they were concentrating very hard when that thing was in action!

Bart, this is a tractor mounted (52 HP) post hole auger. It works very well for digging holes. The earth anchor attachment is a piece of 2 inch pipe that bolts onto the shaft of the gearbox on the auger. It has a couple bars welded into it so that you just bolt the earth anchor in it to drill it into the ground. What I found is that you need to dig a hole about a foot deep, set the anchor in it and fill around it before turning the pto on to engage the drilling action. Anyone using this needs extreme caution.

By the way I am no stranger to heavy machinery. I can pretty much get on any piece of equipemnt known to man and operate it.

You're a braver man than I! Heavy machinery is neat to look at, but once it's in operation, it seems to take on a personality of its own. Surprisingly similar to large animals like horses and cows - they look perfectly placid standing in the field, but get near 'em and it may be a very different story, not that I have any experience with that...

A wise man knows to learn from another man's mistake. I've got a ways to go, and I'm still better at wise-guy.

Latest posts

Back