How To: Gravity Filters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Well, I broke down (so much for patience, George!) and filtered my pretty clear Niagara Wine (the one I cold stabilized). It had been sulfited and sorbated before I cold stabilized, and was pretty darn clear afterwards. There was a dusting of stuff at the bottom of the carboy which didn't move at all when I shifted the carboy gently from side to side. I got ticked off with it and decided to filter tonight.

I thought it might be interesting for all those who either don't have a filtering system at all and those who are maybe considering a gravity filter for starters.

A little background on the wine: I had this niagara wine which did not want to clear (fast enough) for me. I had cold-shouldered it (cold-stabilization) about 1-1.5 weeks prior. I racked it when I brought it in, and this is what it looked like before I started tonight:

2005-12-07_194007_11.jpg

Pretty clear on initial glance, but there were fine particles floating around the complete wine.

So, I went ahead and filtered with the gravity filter from Vinbrite. There are certain steps I take whenever I filter my wines, and this one was actually documented as best as I could: please remember I am a one-woman (Plus Mr. Green Mouse, but he's really no help) show when it comes to wines and photographing them. Sorry if some are out of focus:

Step 1: Make sure your filter is well-sanitized with a no-rinse sanitizing solution. (Not shown)
Get 2 campdens crushed and ready.
2005-12-07_194242_1.jpg

Step 2: Add a little water (Not too much, but enough so that the filter pad can be soaked with it) and swish it around.

2005-12-07_194356_2.jpg

Step 3: Get the filter ready:

The filters I use:
2005-12-07_194531_4.jpg

3a: The "naked" filter:
2005-12-07_194413_3.jpg

3b: Filter with pad in place
2005-12-07_194506_5.jpg

Step 3c: Put the grill on(sorry, I don't remember the real description of it). Note: Make sure the tabs fit into the little grooves that are in the maroon filter case - otherwise you will not filter the wine and it will overflow over the sides and your filtering process was for the birds.
2005-12-07_194622_6.jpg

3d: Put the screw-thingy on (make sure it's tight). Note: there is a contraption that you get with the Vin-Brite filter to make it good and tight, but I don't use it. I think I'm strong enough to do it without the contraption.
2005-12-07_194904_7.jpg

Step 4: Pour the prepared campden-tablet/water solution over the filter pad. Make sure (not shown here) that you have your fingers over the holes on the other side so that it doesn't just go through the pad. (Side Note: I find that this way, I don't have a floppy filter pad to work with and fit everything into place)
2005-12-07_195227_8.jpg

Step 5: Put the bottom part of the filter on:
2005-12-07_195259_9.jpg

Step 6: Place the filter on the "receiving" carboy. Do not hook up the long tube yet!
2005-12-07_195339_10.jpg

You will see that the short "air-tube" (as i like to think of it) is already attached.

Step 7: Start siphon, and use the tube-clamp to stop it before it pours all over you:
2005-12-07_195439_11.jpg

Then, attach the tube into the only hole left on the filter.

Step 8: Get some wine in the air-tube. This can sometimes be hard in wines that are not sufficiently degassed. Therefore I like to put my finger on the opening while the valve is open. I tap-tap-tap the opening and let the wine flow up until I have it full to the top. Sometimes it works well, sometimes not so well. Side Note: If you notice during filtering that there is an air-bubble trapped inside the tube, it helps to flick it with your fingers (for lack of a better description).
8a: The "finger-on-opening manouever"
2005-12-07_195854_13.jpg

8b: The "Tap-tap-tap" Manouever:
2005-12-07_195934_14.jpg

Step 9: Here is something important I learned with gravity filters: Since it works with gravity, the higher the "donating" carboy is from the "receiving" carboy, the better. At least a table-height is good. It makes the filter work so much better.
2005-12-07_200054_15.jpg

Note: This picture was taken about 10 minutes into the whole process.

Step 10: It's hard to tell from the picture above, but if you have even a dusting of sediment at the bottom (or elsewhere) of your carboy, keep the racking tube above it. In other words, don't shove it down the carboy as far as it can go. You will just clog up the filter prematurely, and you'll be frustrated.
This picture is after about 35 minutes of filtering:
2005-12-07_200315_16.jpg

Notice the inital "loss" of fluid at the top. It used to upset me that so much wasn't filtered/lost in filtering, but then I found a helpful tip. (Step 11)

Step 11: Tilt the filter gently from side to side:
11a:
2005-12-07_200500_17.jpg

11b:
2005-12-07_200518_18.jpg

I've pressed the top of the filter a little as well. I gained at least a 1/2 an inch in the neck of the carboy that way.

Step 12: Top up with anything you think is good: Either commercial or other. Just please, please, please make sure it's C-L-E-A-R!!!
2005-12-07_200714_19.jpg

Step 13: Partly the worst step, but most definitely the most gratifying! Cleaning up the filter, and seeing what you caught!: Take the filter apart and wash everything well. Then look at the filter pad:
2005-12-07_200903_20.jpg

The picture unfortunately doesn't do the real thing justice, but there was a considerable amount of sediment/particles caught in the filter. Remember, this was a pretty clear wine to begin with.

A lot of people wonder how long it takes to filter a 5 gallon carboy with a gravity filter. Of course, it depends on the initial clarity of the wine itself, but this process took about 45 minutes: From crushing the campden to throwing out the filter pad. I've had wines that took longer, but this is pretty normal for a wine of this clarity. I am always amazed at what is still caught by the pad of such seemingly clear wine.

I hope this was helpful for anyone interested. If you have any questions or comments, I will do my best to try to answer them.
smiley1.gif

Mr Green Mouse and I would like to thank you for reading!

LOCATION - Cleveland, Ohio
http://quitobee.paetzel.info

Latest posts

Back