Mosti Mondiale rough time with caberlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, This is my first MM kit and my first kit in about 8 months and it has been a series of challenges. About 2 hours after starting the kit my primary sprung a leak the spigot. Two quick calls to Texas ( Thanks Mark and George for calming me down) and a quick trip into the carboy while we fixed the primary and things were bubbling along well.
Maybe I am reading the directions wrong but my SG does not seem to be going where I need it to. My interpretation of the directions is that you should take the SG about 5 days after starting in the primary. I am looking for a 1.040-1.050 and tonight is day 6 and it is at 1.020. Did I screw up something with all that early moving or do I need to wait a little longer before checking the SG? With all the crazieness I did not take an early SG reading. I was very excited to get back to winemaking but this experiencing is a little discouraging. thanks for your help

Cindyjo it went right by the 1.040-1.050. If you checked it at day 5 like it said to, it would have been closer. It is time to rack- and then continue to follow directions. Remember, you start with a higher number like 1.085 or so and end up at about 0.995(under 1.00)

OOHHH, I checked it yesterday on Day 5 and it was 1.030 so I thought I would wait another day to get it in the range I needed but was cioncerned when it got lower. I guess I am racking before bed. It has been too long since I made wine I got confused. Thanks, time to get busy

Cindy, the SG will go down not up. Rack tonight but youll be fine. There is nothing wrong as you are fermenting well.

I realize I am still a newbie but I am finding these MM instructions harder to follow than the Wine expert. Wine is racked in the carboy and we already have a bubbling airlock so I think we are OK for a few days.
Thanks to Appleman and Wade for your help.

The new instructions for the MM kits are a little more confusing but the end result is much better with the exception of the real big W.E. kits which are very good but the bigger MM kits such as Masters and Meglioli are top notch.

Cindy, I have been in your shoes and fretted over every little thing the instructions told you to do!!!
I was told to "relax" and that wine is pretty forgiving if we make a mistake. Of which you haven't.
smiley36.gif

So........"relax" and enjoy the process!!!!!!!!

I feel like I am starting all over with my first kit. I do not remember anything. BTW does anyone have any feedback on this kit?? I tend to like white wines more but the blend of the cab and the merlot was appealing and I have some friends that prefer reds so I thought I would try it.

Latest posts

Back