Mosti Mondiale Rojo Intenso with AllGrape Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I just received Rojo Intenso with AllGrape Pack. I'm leaving the country for a week and won't start it till next week. Has anyone tried this wine before? The port will not be shipped till September.

I have this bulk aging right now waiting for a couple months in the Vidia barrel. Started it back in March. The fermentation was very odd, tiny little pin point bubbles. Never any foamy head, good thing because the juice plus the grape pack filled my plastic fermenter to within one half inch of the rim. Did not clear properly, neither did the MMM Amarone that I started in February. Had to hit it with a second dose of Superklear. I tossed an American oak spiral in it for a few weeks until it goes into Hungarian barrel.

Tony does not fear the "Oak Monster" !
smiley36.gif

ttortorice said:
I tossed an American oak spiral in it for a few weeks until it goes into Hungarian barrel. 

I was going to ferment to dry in the primary bucket but it's within 1/2 inch to the top. A glass carboy won't hold it all. Is it okay to have a 6 gallon and a 1 gallon carboy for secondary fermentation?

jprince0562@yah said:
it's within 1/2 inch to the top/QUOTE]

Told you so.
smiley36.gif

After fermenting and removing the grape pack mine (both the Amarone and RI) fit fine in a Italian 6 gallon carboy. I think they are more like 6.5 gallons. The Italian carboys have the windowpanes and the Mexican ones are smooth sided. Chances are you have the larger Italian model and you it should all fit. If not I have cleared in two containers before and then combine at racking off lees.

jprince0562@yah said:
I was going to ferment to dry in the primary bucket but it's within 1/2 inch to the top. A glass carboy won't hold it all. Is it okay to have a 6 gallon and a 1 gallon carboy for secondary fermentation?

Even for primary, you can split that fermentation up into more than one container. I am concerned that when you get foam, you might run over that single fermentor. Leave the grape pack in the larger primary container.

Just stir it up well, then pour a portion of it into another container, even a carboy will work. After you rack to secondary, you still may need to put some in a 1.5 liter wine bottle and the rest in a carboy; it just depends on the amount you rack off primary. Over several rackings, you will use up the extra wine.

I racked to a 1.5 bottle and kept the rest in the plastic bucket. I bottled two batches of summer wine then I put a wine rack together. Ready for a drink.

I'm stuck at .99. It hasn't bubbles in days! I might go ahead and rack into a carboy. If I don't do it Thursday, I won't be back home for 2 weeks.
What wine should I top it off with? Rojo Intenso with AllGrape Pack

jprince0562@yah said:
I'm stuck at .99.

Hmm. Normally SG is expressed to the thousandth of a whatever. 0.990 SG is about as low as I ever get. I often finish at 0.992 or so. If you are at 0.999, it is a little high, but if it hasn't changed in several days and the must temp is in the 70's, then I would say you are done with fermentation and can go ahead and stabilize. Be sure to use your sorbate when you stabilize to be on the safe side. Also, it would be a good idea to taste the wine to make sure it doesn't taste sweet at all.

If your SG is actually at 0.990, you are done for sure! No risk of refermentation, but personally I still add the sorbate. I can't taste it and I think it inhibits certain types of spoilage. Some people may be able to taste the sorbate, but I can't, even at 3x concentration.

Since it's a Cab Shiraz blend you have tons of affordable commercial choices. Chilean Cabs are terrific at very reasonable prices and Australian Shiraz likewise. the Argentine brand, Crios, has both at about $13.00 in many grocery stores. Soon you will be able to use your own wine for topping up.

v1rotate said:
jprince0562@yah said:
I'm stuck at .99.

If you are at 0.999, it is a little high, but if it hasn't changed in several days and the must temp is in the 70's, then I would say you are done with fermentation

My RI dropped to .998 on day 6 and never moved from there. I'd proceed to clearing.

Bump this thread. I just started this years MMM Rojo Intensio . . . country of origin for the juice is Chili. Was the juice from Chili in previous years? Y'all should all be drinking what was made in 2011 by now, any comments? Wow this kit came with lots of oak shavings.

Latest posts

Back