Need to Prune a 40 plus year old vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdiorio95

Junior
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the forum and wanting to start making wine. The property I purchased a couple years ago has 10 concord and 2 white grape vines that have been neglected. I was trying to find out if I could cut them to the ground and start over. I realize if it's possible that I won't get any grapes for a while till the re establish.

Hello I'm new to the forum and wanting to start making wine. The property I purchased a couple years ago has 10 concord and 2 white grape vines that have been neglected. I was trying to find out if I could cut them to the ground and start over. I realize if it's possible that I won't get any grapes for a while till the re establish.
My advice would be to search "pruning neglected grape vines" on YouTube. You will see a number of videos and will likely be able to find one or two that mirror your situation. In this way, you will have audio and visual instructions that you can even take to the vines with a laptop. I see you are in PA (I am originally from Pittsburgh) so you need to get started while the vines are somewhat dormant.

Good luck!

You might try to contact you county agricultural extension agent for some hands on instruction. I would think that you may be able to revitalize the vines without taking them all the way to the ground. The agent may be able to help you establish the basic vine structure and leave some spurs that would produce fruit this season. Remember, grapes are produced on "new" wood.
Hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back