ROAD TRIP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm right there with your admiral!!!

Good God are you CRAZY!!!!!! Be like the stock market and head south
smiley5.gif
at least for your own safety. only for a month or so
smiley2.gif

-35! I'm shivering just thinking about it. I grew up in Southern California and the coldest day I experienced was 39 F. Now I'm in Dallas where it is schizophrenic weather. One day it is 80 F in January, the next it is 32 F, then back up to 75, then down to 43, etc. etc. etc. I'll take my temperature extreme swings over -35 F. I don't think I'll be moving to Minnesota. It reminds me of the Norwegian writer O.E. Rolvaag's Giants in the Earth, where the lead character freezes to death sitting beside a hay stack looking to the West. Read that book and you'll never move to Minnesota or the Dakotas.

The coldest I have ever been was south east of Dallas about 150 miles. It was thirty degrees and rained ice for three days. I was looking at a job down there, at the time we were working in Gunnison Colorado -35 every morning. I can dress for cold but cold and wet is bad for me.

Jeff

I went to school at the University of Minnesota. The temperature started getting really cold in September and after that it was ridiculous!
smiley1.gif

But, it really keeps the crime down!
smiley4.gif
It's so hard to car jack someone at -35. Someone tried it once, but their hand froze to the door handle so the car owner just drove the car to the police station, dragging the would-be car jacker all the way.
smiley36.gif

admiral said:
smiley36.gif
Yep! -35 keeps a lot of things from happening.

Yep! But 9 months from now there will be a few extra citizens in the frozen Northlands! Happens every coldspell. Gotta stay warm at any means possible...............
smiley9.gif

You would think thatafter many winters like thisthey would be overcrowded in the north.
smiley1.gif

Nice winter evening at work, -20...or -41 with the wind chill now, might get cold by time I get off in the A.M.
smiley36.gif

-34.2°F...8AM...could get a tad colder before it warms up today....Seems after -20 it doesn't really matter.

NW,
Isn't it funny how a little cold weather discussion gets a lot of attention on a wine making forum?
smiley36.gif

Seriously though, that road to Winnipeg from your area is a lonely stretch for a seriously sub zero day. Wonder how the cell service is along there...

I was supposed to head south to St. Paul today but decided to postpone until next week when it gets warmer. Attemps below -20,all automotive hydraulics are a little reluctant.Our local loggers are fully experiencedin cold weather hydraulic performance and repairs - as you agribusiness types are.

Jack on Rainy said:
NW,
Isn't it funny how a little cold weather discussion gets a lot of attention on a wine making forum?
smiley36.gif

Seriously though, that road to Winnipeg from your area is a lonely stretch for a seriously sub zero day. Wonder how the cell service is along there...

I was supposed to head south to St. Paul today but decided to postpone until next week when it gets warmer. Attemps below -20,all automotive hydraulics are a little reluctant.Our local loggers are fully experiencedin cold weather hydraulic performance and repairs - as you agribusiness types are.

The road to Winnipeg was a long lonely one...especially when the outsdie temp was reading -38°F [about the same in C°]
The Cell was picking up pretty good signal and we had the GPS ...As well the Cell has GPS....so we'd know where we were, but there was no one around who would come out there...

Not much traffic till we got to Winnipeg....There was nothing around that border crossing and the towns looked abandoned....no one on the streets. Did see farmers out doing there chores with tractors and pay loaders....

We had plenty of clothes packed....

It was -13°F [-25°] when we got home....It hasn't got that warm since then...so, that was the best day to travel...There was NO wind and it actually didn't feel so bad...days without wind around here are pretty scarce. No wind is a good day....

Thankfully everything held together....

We have lived up here for 10 years, this is the coldest it's been since we got here...and for the longest stretch.

We have been in weather this cold before in the central part of the state...and...at that time raised livestock...it was hell keeping things going and watching the steers and outdoor hogs live through that....

Now we have just 2 horses and they seem content with their heavy coats...our dogs are real sissies, want to be inside all the time...I am feeding a stray cat out in a shed...I think it's a cat...or a really well fed squirrel....
smiley4.gif

This is truely the good life with no livestock...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr our 12 degrees here would make you a heat wav NW

It's -25° already tonight....
Suppose to be +32° by Monday...think I'll start on my tan for the vacation....
smiley4.gif

Passeport de Canada came through...
Passport was in the mail today.....way before scheduled mailing of Jan 27....
Mexico here we come...
Life is Extremely Good!!!!

hannabarn, nope, us folks in SE AZ stay for the summer here in the high desert.
smiley4.gif

NW, with the temps that y'all are going through lately, you're going to melt from the heat when you get down to Mexico.

Back