ROAD TRIP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Was suppose drive go to Winnipeg, Canada this morning....
This is from a local weather station....

<t></t><t></t><table cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><t><tr><td>
nt_clear.gif
</td>
<td>
<div style="font-size: 17px;"><nobr>-37.0 °F</nobr></span>
<div style="font-size: 14px;">Clear
</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

<t></t><t></t><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><t><tr>
<td>Windchill:</td>
<td>
-55</span>°F</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Humidity:</td>
<td><nobr>70%</nobr></span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Dew Point:</td>
<td>
-42</span>°F</span>
</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Wind:</td>
<td>
<nobr>5.0 mph</nobr></span>
from the </span>

South
</span>
<div id="condWindDiv">
360arrows_blue.gif

window.wind_animate['CONDBOXWIND']=new WindRotate("condboxArrowDiv",14,185);

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Wind Gust:</td>
<td><nobr>7.0 mph</nobr></span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Pressure:</td>
<td>
-</span>
(Steady)
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Visibility:</td>
<td>
10.0</span>miles</span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>UV:</td>
<td>0 out of 16</span></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Clouds:</td>
<td>

Clear

-
</span>

(Above Ground Level)
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>
</td></tr></t></table>

Not too sure about this...
It's only -28°F here....
And -27°F in Winnipeg......
smiley3.gif

LOL, It is actually 37° F (thats above zero) here right now an I am freezing. It's the humidity that makes it feel so cold. I am suprised you humidity is that high at those temps. It just has to be miserable there. When I lived north below zero didn't bother me much but the humidity was in the low 40% or lower. Keep warm up there. I'd stay home by the fire if it was me but I do remember what cabin fever feels like.

Waiting for it to warm up....It's -32°F now....think the thermometer is going the wrong way...

Guess this is why God made heated car seats...

Heated car seats? You must have one of them fancy cars I have heard about! We are in the warm weather before the cold here. It is 17.8 out right now and expecting 4" snow and a high of 32 today. Balmy! The next three days will be a high of about 0 with lows well below.

I think you should stay home. You don't want the car to freeze up traveling there.

It's 22 here this morning. Expecting a high of 40 today, It's a spring thaw.

Jeff

appleman said:
Heated car seats? You must have one of them fancy cars I have heard about! We are in the warm weather before the cold here. It is 17.8 out right now and expecting 4" snow and a high of 32 today. Balmy! The next three days will be a high of about 0 with lows well below.

I think you should stay home. You don't want the car to freeze up traveling there.

I laughed my brother whose truck came with leather heated captain's seats. But we went fishing in late Feb or early March before it started warming up good around here (south Louisiana) and got caught in a little rainstorm 5 minutes from the launch and we were freezing our butts off when we got back to the truck. Those seats heated us up nice and toasty in about 5 minutes......

I've got heated seats in my truck and I always forget to turn them on! minus 22 this morning with a high of minus 5 predicted for today. Warm compared to what is predicted for Jack on Rainy!!!

NW, at least your winds are coming from the south...but I bet that doesn't make that much of a difference.. It sure does here. warm and moist from the Gulf.

Ramona

I'm actually stuck at home today due to the cold. I can't get either vehicle to start. It was -35 this morning when I was supposed to go to work. I'm still here though. Right now I'm rotating the battery charger from vehicle to vehicle and giving them each a try about every 1/2 hour or so. Dumped isopropyl in both of them but I haven't started the truck for about a week so I'm thinking that's why it's being stubborn. Usually I can rely on the truck to go on very cold mornings. Not today I guess.....

I found another use for a brew belt!!

Both of my vehicles would not start today due to the extreme cold. I have an extra brew belt so I slit the end to get the cord out of the hole and wrapped it around the radiator hose on my van and plugged it in. After about 2 hours I noticed that the hose was a little warm. I tried the key and voila! Started right up
smiley1.gif

DSCF0870640x480.jpg

My Polaris Ranger started. Didn't try anything else. Need the Ranger to get the mail!!

Playoff weather
smiley4.gif
GO CARDS!!!!!

<H3>Metro Phoenix forecast</H3>
<DIV =clearfix id=weatherDailyForecasts>
<UL>
<LI>Wed
73 / 46
sunny.gif
</LI>
<LI>Thu
74 / 46
sunny.gif
</LI>
<LI>Fri
73 / 47
sunny.gif
</LI>
<LI>Sat
74 / 46
mostly_sunny.gif
</LI>
<LI>Sun
75 / 48
mostly_sunny.gif
</LI>
<LI =lastLI>Mon
75 / 47
sunny.gif
</LI>[/list]

I will remember this Rube-A-Billy next July when it is 112 there and about 80 and sunny here! We all have trade-offs! Ours is here now!

Rube-A-Billy is probably like alot of other folks in AZ. They chicken out and head north when the summer weather arrives! However, I do agree with him on G0 CARDS!!!

hannabarn said:
Rube-A-Billy is probably like alot of other folks in AZ. They chicken out and head north when the summer weather arrives! However, I do agree with him on G0 CARDS!!!

WATCH IT, WATCH IT!!!! It's a dry
smiley35.gif
heat and I suffer through every
smiley35.gif
day of it!!!

in all honesty i do like the dry heat much better than the midwest humidity i grew up in and the steamroom like atmosphere of my stint in houston. but as i read your posts i did look up my home town and am thankful i'm here. it's a great place to visit but!!!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =j style="WIDTH: 37em">
<DIV style=": left">Weather for Peru, IL
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 80%; : left">-Add to iGoogle</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; : left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px">
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 113%">0°F
<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 84%">Current: Clear
Wind: N at 0 mph
Humidity: 72%
<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 84%; : left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=center>Tue
mostly_sunny.gif

<NOBR>8°F | -1°F</NOBR>
<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 84%; : left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=center>Wed
snow.gif

<NOBR>14°F | -8°F</NOBR>
<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 84%; : left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=center>Thu
sunny.gif

<NOBR>-1°F | -15°F</NOBR>
<DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 84%; : left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" align=center>Fri
mostly_sunny.gif

<NOBR>7°F | 2°F</NOBR></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<DIV align=center>GO CARDS!!!!!

Well, it was a mite chilly out there this morning. My brakes and clutch were slightly stiff after 10 minutes driving 60 MPH at -35.
smiley5.gif
I had that baby plugged in all day at work and was rewarded at 5:30. It didn't whine and scream when I started her up.

Due to the temperature of - 20 something we were undecided about heading to Winnipeg this morning to submit my Canadian Passport application....Can't go anywhere these days without a Passport...Thankfully my Permanent Resident Alien Card gets me across the Canadian Border [For now]....

So, we hung out for awhile waiting for the temperature to rise...it was going lower.... When it hit -35°F we said we would go if the car started...

thirtyfiveSmall.jpg

From the comforts of the house we opened the garage doors and hit the remote car starter...There was 'Fire in the Hole'!!!!...
Darn remote starter dosen't turn on the heated car seats...Tough life isn't it???

As soon as we headed north the car temp got to -38°F and stayed there till we got to Winnipeg...Thought car thermometers were always warmer...

thirtyeightSmall.jpg

Coped with lots of ice-fog due to the high humidity, but the roads were fine...Sunny and bright after an awesome sunrise.....No photos....The windows were a bit frosty.

The radio was reporting temps of -48°F near areas we were passing through....There go all the tender plants...

The guy at the border crossing didn't really want to come outside and asked a couple questions from inside and sent us through....

Got to Winnipeg and survived the big city traffic...drove right up to our destination with out any problems...Except for the cars that stop in the middle of the lane and let out a passenger...

The drivers were pretty crazy, but once Jim reverted to his California Freeway Vocabulary he handles it real well...There was a lot of snow piled on the streets and there was no parking downtown....We had gone 187 miles...but the last 5 were in a parking garage.

The Passport Office was very efficient and checked all the boxes... √..
Said "It will be mailed on Jan. 27th" and sent us on our way....
So...knowing that the mail service to and from Canada is about a 2 week event...expect the Passport some time in Feb...God willing, sooner.

Did a little shopping, ate and headed home....
The dogs were happy to see us.....they are so forgiving and soon forget they had been outside in their little houses for a whole brutally cold day.

Glad to be home and know I have trimmed off a good 3 weeks of waiting for this Passport....

Once the Passport is in hand...Mexico...Here we come....YEE HAW!!!

Life is Good!!!!

My goodness! You REALLY want that passport. Mexico... I hear the warm sands calling!
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back