Other RJS Super Tuscan & WE Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc5066

Reaction score
I just ordered these kits. Any suggested tweaks to these kits or just run them as is?

I do plan on bulk aging both kits for at least 5 or 6 months.

On the Super Tuscan, BM4X4 yeast, add tannin and oak to your taste. It's pretty excellent wine.

5 to 6 months is NOT enough time for these strong reds. I leave mine in the carboy for 6 months and then in the bottles for a year and they are just getting good.

RJS Super Tuscan & WE Chilean Malbec

Oaking was one thing I was thinking about. American or French oak? What toast level?

I planed on aging in the bottle as well. I pretty much assume all of my reds need to age a year plus before they start to shine.

Last edited:
5 to 6 months is NOT enough time for these strong reds. I leave mine in the carboy for 6 months and then in the bottles for a year and they are just getting good.

Agree. My first Super Tuscan was good at a year, but great at two. Really should've waited to at least the 18 month mark. Batch #2 is going into bottles in the next few weeks and will be nearly a year old. I think its progressing faster than the 1st, but I still don't plan on more than a sample or three before the 18 month mark.

swap the super tuscan yeast for BM4X4 (second pick: rc-212)

heads up though - you will need nutrients + dap

Oaking was one thing I was thinking about. American or French oak? What toast level?

I planed on aging in the bottle as well. I pretty much assume all of my reds need to age a year plus before they start to shine.

I have used French medium on Super Tuscan and it is great. I may have over oaked the last one so proceed gently. You can always add more.

Got the Malbec kit under way. Was surprised that it had 2 oak powder packs. The juice was incredible. Got high hopes for this kit.

The RJS Super Tuscan will be here Friday. I'll have to see if I can pick up a Bm 4x4 for it

I did the Selection Chilean Malbec. It's fantastic with no alterations from the kit instructions.

I just ordered these kits. Any suggested tweaks to these kits or just run them as is?

I do plan on bulk aging both kits for at least 5 or 6 months.

I made the super tuscan without tweaks and its great at two years.

If I made again, I would:
-Swap the yeast for RC212
-Put 1 TBL oak powder in the primary
-Put 2 spirals of heavy toast oak in bulk aging
-Put 1 TBL of tannin riche during bulk aging
-Bulk age for 6 months
-Bottle age for 6 months+
-Omit sorbate
-Omit superkleer/isinglas and allow to clear on it's own
-Note that you'll need to add 1/4 tsp kmeta every three months while bulk aging

Heather

I see no reason to use sorbate or a clearing agent on either of these. I will bulk age both for at least 6 months.

Latest posts

Back