RJ Spagnols Rj Spagnols Australian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I forot to say I am an absolute expert on this because I have bottled
ONE kit
smiley36.gif

I defer to the expert!

Seriously, it could be the corks or the process. It has never concerned me about the indentation in the top. If it does bother you, use a dime on top of the cork. It is the same size at the bottle opening, so you won't get the indention.

Oh cool!
What a neat idea.
smiley32.gif

Having gotten the heat shrink caps for my next batch I'm not so worried
about the indentation. If the wine is for me I don't care. If it is for a gift,
they wont see it because the caps covers it.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: peterCooper

Well, today Waldo bottled his first wine. My Australian Shiraz is done !! I want to begin this post by saying thanks to everyone who guided me, encouraged me and tolerated me to get metothis point. The day began early with the bottle washing, sanitizing and drying.

2005-09-25_172911_bottles_draining.jpg

The actual bottling was quite a comedy. Had a few overuns and in the midst of one, I managed to knock two filled bottle over. Kept my cool and patience thoughand got it all bottled. The corking did not go too well. I soaked them in a a sanitizing solution for about ten minutes and I tried George's tip on putting the dime on top of the cork and all that accomplished was to bend the dime and get it stuck in the corker so I dispensed with that idea and went ahead without it. Practically every one of the corks went in crooked and a few never went all the way in. I just took a knife and trimmed them off even with the top.

2005-09-25_172951_shiraz_bottled.jpg

Oh yes, the wine was actually quite good. Very fruity and a little tart.I bottled the bulk of it as was and then added some conditioner to 6 350ml bottles that is going to go to a friend.

2005-09-25_173303_shiraz_labeled.jpg

The labeling I needmore practice on. Got a few on lopsided and didn't notice ituntil I got through. Am I going to worry about them...heck no...I'm just having fun.

2005-09-25_173338_shiraz_on_table.jpg

Waldo,

for the ones you're giving away, the shrink wrap caps will improve the look. I
like the label. Was that one of George's?

Thanks Everyone.

The labels I made myself Peter. The "peel and stick"label paper I got from Office Depot. It is full sheet for laser printers.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that during the corking I ended up with 2 bottles that had a tiny piece of cork floating in it when I finished. I really couldn't see where this would hurt anything but if it i a concern I would like to know.

My Port will be my next bottling adventure.Edited by: Waldo

What little that is left of my Shiraz now has an official home. Got my first wine rack today. It will hold 45 750mlbottles.

2005-10-02_000157_wine_rack_1.jpg

Needs some more wine in it
smiley36.gif

2005-10-02_000352_wine_rack_2.jpg

Nice rack Waldo but at the rate you are making wine you better order 5 more!
smiley36.gif

smiley36.gif
You are right masta...My plans are to build one like this wherever my wine cellar ends up being. Plans are to convert a 10 x 12 Storage building I have into a wine cellar/making studio. Just need to insulate it and put m in a small window type heat pump

2005-10-02_065214_wr-mp.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

A whole separate building for wine making and storage.....awesome!
smiley20.gif

Sounds like what happened at my house when the wine making/fermentation room wasn't enough and I had to build a wine cellar to store all the bottles at the correct temp and now it is filling up fast.....should have made it bigger
smiley7.gif

So 40% of the basement is devoted to wine...
smiley36.gif

Er uh..as youhave seen in the picture, I have plenty of empty storage space in my new wine rack so if you need me to store some of it for you I would be more than happy to help out a friend in need.

Hi Waldo,

I know these posts are a couple years old, but am wondering if you had to return the kit. I got the impression that you didn't, but wasn't sure. Also, how did this taste and how soon after you bottled it did you start drinking it? Do you have any left?

Ahhh laneygirl it was an awesome wine with some aging on it. And I do have one bottle left. As a newbie I overfilled the bottles, drank it too early and did about everything else wrong I could think of heheehehe. The lone bottle is now resting in my cellar and will probably be a Christmas gift this year to my son who loves Shiraz

I'm glad it turned out....have you made other kits by RJ? I just got a Grand Cru Australian Chardonnay. It's my first RJ to try and will get to it after I ferment the MM ME Granbarolo kit and figure out another carboy.

That may be a decent 1 but will not compare to the ME mosti. Ive done a few Grand Cru's and opt to go with the Select Cru's now, the Selects are very good.

Back