RJ Spagnols Rj Spagnols Australian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Waldo, that was very interesting!
smiley4.gif

Just checked my schedule and it looks like the Shiraz is going to be ready to bottle next Saturday/Sunday.

Is there any particular ritual/ceremony/chants a Newbie must go through when he does his first bottling?
smiley36.gif

I usually have something 70-ish playing in the background. You know, mellow stuff.

I am a huge Eagles fan so maybe some of their greates hits album or may even do Jimi Hendrixs' "Purple Haze"

You can't do Purple Haze with a Shiraz. OK I can understand the purple, but
if you've fined it right there should not be any haze at all
smiley36.gif

Maybe "I Can See Clearly Now"

Waldo said:
I am a huge Eagles fan so maybe some of their greates hits album or may even do Jimi Hendrixs' "Purple Haze"

Have you seen their Live from Melbourne DVD? I almost bought the collection at wallyworld today, 2 DVD live concert, 27? songs, around $24. I have seen it, but I would like to have it to watch over and over. I play bass, and when I found out Timothy B. Shmidt is gay, I was crushed! Oh well, I try not to think about it as I try to copy his work.

I have it as well as the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD. They are in my opinion one of the best bands ever. My next favorite is the Moody Blues...

Think I will just play the Eagles "No More Cloudy Days" during my 1st bottling ceremony. Going to gear up and do some test bottling about Friday evening with just some plain water and get the knack of the filler rod.

Waldo,

Good idea to test out the bottling with water.When John and Itested out the auto filler we got the silly giggles ... just glad it was water!

OK folks, I began my winebottling training this evening with some corking practice. I have the Portugese hand corker and Georges corks, #9 x 1.50. I did not rinse or soak the corks at all before the test. My first test was on a 375 ml bottle

2005-09-20_163044_corktest1.jpg

My next test was on a 750 ml bottle andthe bottle wasempty, which I think may have caused the problem I had with this one.

2005-09-20_163255_corkinshiraz.jpg

As this is my first stab at corking I have no idea of why what happened, did happen,

Here is a picture of the 750 ml bottle with my label I designed for my Shiraz. I will make them just a tad smaller but I need a little practice on puttting the labels on straight too.

2005-09-20_163709_shirazbottle1.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

The indention is normal with the hand corker. Most of it will pop out over time.

Congratulations on your first bottling.

LOL..Not "Congratulations" yet George. More like "Good Luck" would be appropriate. I will not be doing the bottling until Sat. or Sun.

Any clues on the smaller bottle? Cork too big maybe for the bottle?

I would sanitize the corks for 5-10 minutes which will make the corks go in the bottle easier. I know Hippie never does this, but I like this method.

Actually, during corking with finevinewines corks yesterday, I dipped each one in sulphite solution and shook off right before plunging them home with my portuguese floor corker. Some of the corks 'accordioned' when they went in. George, do you have any idea how I could have caused this when I always got them right before? If I have had the corks too long and they are dried out, could that cause it?

I found that I had to carefully place the cork in the corker and ensure both
top and bottom were aligned. Otherwise, I ended up with a lopsided cork
and on three of my (48) bottle, the protruding edge ripped off and got stuck
in the corker.

I dipped the first few in sulphite. They went in nice and easy and popped
right back out again. The air compression was enough to force it back out.
This was using #8's on 375 ml bottles. I found a quick dip and a good shake
left enough for the cork to go in easy but not enough for it to move. The
compression comes from pushing too hard I think. Easy does it. or at least
it worked for me. The last half dozen or so bottles I got right. I think it is
one of those pracgtice makes perfect things.

Latest posts

Back