RJ Spagnols Rj Spagnols Australian Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
smiley32.gif
Waldo just received an early Anniversary gift. My very first kit !!

Learning patience as Hippie keeps encouraging me to do, I have read the instructions twice now and must say that right off the bat I am confused. The instructions for Step 1 are as follows:

Add 4 liters of warm water to the primary fermenter, stirring constantly, slowly add Pkg. #1, Bentonite to water until dispersed.

I thought Bentonite was a fining agent used to clarify you wine towards the end of the process.

Also in the kit is oak powder and it too is added in step 1. My question here is would the oak cubes I havework better than the powder.

OK thats all for now. I must go and get my primary sterilized.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO Talk about a kid in a candy store
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Waldo

The bentonite is fining agent but helps some the solids to settle before you rack to the secondary carboy. Remember these kits are design to get the juice fermented and into the bottle ASAP!

More info per Tim VanderGrift of Winexpert: The bentonite is in the primary fermentation for two reasons:

<UL>
<LI>It helps increase the rate of yeast growth, acting as an accelerant for budding activity
<LI>It helps settle out yeast cells post-fermentation, and prevents hazes from early autolysing cells.</LI>[/list]

Use the oak powder included in your kit as instructed and you can always add some oak after the wine is completed and is settling before bottling.

I am oaking all my dry red wines with cubes for 8 weeks as I have found it adds so much depth and character to the wine.Edited by: masta

Step 1 continues:

Yeast pitched to primary fermenter at SG 1.070 and a must temperature of 80 degrees.

Hmmmm is it really "must"? Or is it just "Juice"

Inquiring minds want to knowEdited by: Waldo

It is must!

SG 1.070 seems a little low. What do the instructions say it should be between?

First, it is must until you add (pitch) the yeast, then it is called wine.

Always, always, always follow the kit instructions, especially with your first several kits.

The S.G. is low. What is the date on the kit box?

Hippie....The instructions say "Record specific gravity. For a table wine it should be 1.074 - 1.090"

Masta...It is a Gran Cru Vino Del Vida kit

George...Oh George.....The date on the box is 20040623
smiley7.gif

HaveI been had?

If that kit was purchased after June 23rd, 2005, then I would take it back. RJ Spagnol does not want their kits sold once they are 1 year old. That kit is over 1 year old and should have been taken off the shelf.

BYW, there are Grand Cru kits and Vino Del Vida, but I was not aware there was a Gran Cru Vino Del Vida.

Thanks George...I will contact them tomorrow.

The instruction booklet that came with the kit says it is a:

Grand Cru

Heritage Estates

Vino Del Vida

So should I just pour it out?

And I already made my label for it too.

2005-08-22_182102_bottle3.jpg

If the retailer gives you any problems, contact RJ Spagnols directly. I guarantee, they will fix theproblem!

The instructions are generic for 3 different lines of RJ kits, Grand Cru, Vino del Vida and Heritage Estates. They are all made the same.

No, don't pour it out.

From now on, you know where to get your kits, right?

smiley2.gif

OK George...The box says Vino Del Vida

And you are absolutelyright Hippie.

For that type of kit the specific gravity is normal. When you make a 15/16 L kit the starting specific gravity will be higher.

Keep us informed of your progress!

The fermentation appears to be well under way. I contacted the seller of the kit and their contention is that they received the kit from their supplier the first of May and the kit should be fine. I have sent RJ Spagnols an email and will wait until I hear from them to determine what my next course of action will be.

2005-08-23_154808_fermenting_shiraz.jpg

Looks yummy!

I think the lower alcohol will allow it to be more fruity and allow it to be drinkable sooner, even bone dry.

Thanks for the encouragement Hippie. I am going to be optimistic about the outcome. Heck I may even talk to it and sing to it while it is a fermenting and a bubbling away. Tell it how purty it is and howI long to become intimite with the now hidden treasures it has. Just run my hand slowly down the sides of the fermenter and feel the ever growing life inside. Just as I did with each of our children as they developed in the womb. Imagining what a joythey were going to bring.

I am fighting back tears!

smiley19.gif

My wines like to listen to hard rock music while fermenting. I know they like it cause they always repay me in kind.

smiley36.gif

What? Am I becoming "One, with my Wine" Is it possible that Waldo may actually become a winemaker and not just a leech off the knowledge of others who paved the pathto success for him. Please Martina and Hippie, tell me it is so !!

smiley19.gif

I just checked my kit and there is no evidence of fermentation going on at all. No foam, no bubbling "nodda nuttin" . I gave it a gentle stirring and put the lid back on and will check it again this evening..Any ideas as to what is going on?Edited by: Waldo

Back