Rinse K-Meta?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
When you use K-Meta to sanitize stuff (primary, carboy, hydrometer, etc) do you rinse? I was under the impression that rinsing was not necessary, and might even "de-sanitize". But Island Mist kit directions say to thoroughly rinse after sanitizing with sulfite. What gives?

I do not rinse anything but do let it drip dry and wipe with a clean paper towel if pooling.

I spray the insides of the primary and lid well with k-meta solution. I put a paper towel in at the bottom. That sanitizes the towel and I can wipe out the excess solution that doesn't pour out. With the carboys I let it drip upside down on a carboy drying stand. But not as worried anymore about it being completely dry. After all, we end up putting the same solution into it before bulk aging and bottling. The minute amount leftover on the walls of the carboy and or primary isn't near enough to do anything to your wine

No need to rinse. That could actually re-introduce bacteria if it was in the water. Just let it drip dry like the others said.

Latest posts

Back