Rhubarb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just notice Walkers has Rhubarb available again in bulk for anyone in the vicinity. This is usually a very small window before they go to 5 gallon pails only.

Mike for what it's worth, I asked them where they sold the most and they said to the Dakota's. They sell to wineries all around the country.

Rhubarb is pretty easy to come by around here. I found steam juicing to be a hands down winner! I didn't solicit any this year as I still have 7 gal not bottled from last year. This is my "cut back" year!
I think I'll just do raspberry and elderberry this year.... and cherry, if I get some free ones.

Debbie

When I mixed up my rhubarb/pineapple wine... THAT juice was amazing!! It would make fantastic punch!!

Debbie

Trouble with my rhubarb wine

I have made several batches of rhubarb wine but the last one is almost carbonated. I did de-gas it a week or so before I bottled it and it was double filtered and tasted fine when I bottled it. I made it up February 2010 from frozen rhubarb and let it sit in the secondary until I bottled it in March this year. It was racked properly, etc. I don't remember my s.g. on it but I am sure it was fine when I bottled, otherwise I would have left it in the secondary longer.

I recently had a couple other batches do the same thing but I can't figure out what is causing this because I super sterilize everything and de-gas them before bottling...??

My Rhubarb is usually bottled in about 6-8 months from when I start. It really sounds like you needed to degas some more even though after a year I would have thought it would be done. If you can shake the bottle, like a coke bottle and get the pffffft then it needed more degassing. I always degas when I stabilize and then let it age.

Are you using sorbate? I just hope this carbonation is not refermentation as then you will possibly have bottle bombs and corks blowing off.

I was also wondering if Sorbate was used along with Kmeta. I have heard people say they got a batch of "old" sorbate and had that problem.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back