Can I add fining agent again

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBurns

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings to this very helpful forum. I divided a pak of SuperKleer across several containers totaling six gallons. My cranberry rhubarb cleared nicely but one of the 750mL bottles of strawberry rhubarb and all three pineapple rhubarb containers have not after a month. This is my last step before bottling. Can I add another dose of SuperKleer. Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't ever done any of those wines, but the interwebs say that strawberry, rhubarb, and pineapple are all somewhat low in pectin and take lots of pectin enzyme to make "stiff" jam/jelly. That's probably a good thing and maybe means that you don't have a pectin haze. Which would require pectic enzyme to clear the haze. Are you certain that the wines don't have an abundance of CO2 dissolved in them, if they do, clearing waits until that CO2 is out of the wine. You can probably add another dose of SuperKleer, but at some point you do run the risk of stripping flavor and color, exactly where that point is, is probably an unknowable thing. In case the interwebs are wrong and it is pectic haze, you could add a double dosage of pectic enzyme and see if that clears it out.

I like Craig's thinking. What is the SG of the wine?

I'd add a double-dose of pectic enzyme, simply because it might work and it won't hurt. If the wines don't clear in a month, add bentonite, which will precipitate proteins, which is my other thought for why the wine are not clearing.

Thanks Craig and winemaker81. The SG started on 11/17 at 1.080 and ended at 0.992 on 11/27. I've made rhubarb wine the last 4 years without issue. I add pectic enzymes at start. I generally get very clear within a week of adding the SuperKleer. I think there could be some CO2 as I examine closely. It has been exactly 4 weeks since I racked cold and added Kmeta, K sorbate, and SuperKleer. The top third is clear and bottom two thirds still cloudy.
Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back