RHUBARB WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northern Winos said:
Pelican...We are coming down this spring and try to get some bushes or cuttings.

NW, While on break at work, talk has begun to turn to gardens -- one of the guys who has a place local to where your farm used to be was saying how the wild blackberry at his place was taking over so much that he was mowing them down last year. He said he'd give me some cuttings, maybe even dig some up roots and all. Happy to share with you if I get some!

Maybe he bought part of our farm....?
We will certainly take some cuttings or root-lings...Come spring we'll be there with bells on....
smiley4.gif
Need those Northern hardy Pequot Variety Blackberries.

Gee...with all the Soil & Water ConservationDistrict fruit bushes we are ordering we might have to take some land out of crop production.
Thank You!!!!!

Ah ! Bottling ! Yes, I just posted a note about that under my "made a
mistake" thread on the Valiant. ... and... I've started another
Rhubarb wine. this one is Rhubarb & Raspberry (again from the
mystery jars from the pantry, labeled RR which I thought was Red
Raspberry but no it wasn't just raspberry). The other
Rhubarb+Crabapple is happily clearing itself - photo of that one here:

20080301_210055_rhucrabapple.jpg

RR...that's my code for Rhubarb Raspberry...How deep in the bowels of that pantry are you??? Surely there is an end to the mysteries that have come forth from the past....?

Nice looking carboy of 'mystery wine'.....
smiley4.gif

Edited by: Northern Winos

mississippi mud said:
NW you posted awhile back you were in search of a new drain tube. What happened to the original? Just wondering if I need to watch out for anything.

The issue with my drain tubes is an age thing.....The original one lasted about 10 years....Then I got a piece of tubing from a medical supply store...It lasted about another 10 years......Now I got a piece of tubing from a restaurant supply store...it is for an Espresso machine...heat resistant...so expect it should last another 10 years....It is a little stiffer, but works fine.

How time flies when your having fun!!!!

smiley3.gif
Pelican...what happened???? I expect the stove over heated and the bottom pan got dry and melted.....Glad you got another pan so quickly.

*I always set a timer for 1 hours...by then the pan needs a refill or the fruit has completed the juicing.Edited by: Northern Winos

What happened was the pan boiled dry, but a lot quicker than in past batches of juicing -- the pan did melt in some fashion, that sandwiched core of metal between the contact with the element and the actual bottom of the pan itself just ooozed out all over the stove top... In the end, there was a replacement pan for the Mehu-Liisa and a brand new stove for the kitchen.
smiley32.gif

I had an interesting thing happen today. I racked the rhubarb wine. It looked like this the carboy when I started.
100_1596.jpg

WhenI racked it. It changed color on me.

100_1597.jpg

It went from a nice rose color to whatI guess would be the normal rhubarb color. Has anyone every had anything like this happen to them?Edited by: swillologist

All I did was rack it. I will back sweeten it then add the clarifier. This is a mystery to me why moving it from one carboy to another changed it so much.

Looks pretty dramatic....Liked the pinkish color of the 'before'.

I just racked an apple wine...It changed color too....Tried not to get any air into it....I see yours looks like you didn't splash it either.

It will start to clear soon and the color will change again.

I have to hose just about on the bottom of the carboy. I do need to do a little adjusting to get the hose on the bottom.
It is just about the same color as my last batch of rhubarb. I'm sure it will change some more. It's already starting to clear some. But I think it willneed clarifier to polish it off nicely.

Latest posts

Back