Retirement VS working

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One does not need to retire to experience similar. There are other ways.

For example, get a dog. And religiously walk them each morning and evening (or even at 2:00 AM if they have to "go"). That will help "slow you down", emotionally and psychologically if you approach such walks as a healthy action for your dog (and for you).

I once saw a very rare glow worm on a 4:00 AM walk with my dog. Seeing that was a real treasure. And that was not the only treasure he showed me on our walks.

WITHOUT the financial planner (to siphon off your gains)
I used to do that Grapes, BUT he has gotten me into investments that I could not have gotten in myself. He has gotten me much better returns (including subtracting his fees) that I ever could have gotten. On this one I am "staying in my lane"

Retirement has been on my mind a lot recently. A few years back I was skiing alone, riding up the lift the 3 strangers, one asked where I was from.

I said "I'm a local, will be at work by one."
He said "Retired and visiting from...".
I said "Can't retire yet, run out of money too quick."
The guy on the far side of the chair leans forward, looks at me and says "I've got friends who ran out of health."

The comment has resonated with me, then this year my brother, 59, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. I've got 4 siblings and if you asked any of us who would live the longest, we all would said it's the one who is now dying.

Work or play? can I enjoy the free time or feel guilty for not working? Will I stay healthy? Unknowns abound. But I think I'm moving that target date up 5 to 7 years.

Except that its...... TX. LOL Was born and raised in San Antonio.

Hope you like heat and humidity!

I'm headed to Port Isabel/South Padre Island (Texas Gulf Coast) in a few weeks to look for a winter home. You should check it out. Weather there is great. There have been a few hurricanes, however. But, no sense living in fear!

Retired at 60 (pension, 401K, Roth) and have never looked back. Don't miss it at all (except for the cooler talk maybe). 2020 sucked as we were stuck at home (like everyone else) but now that things are looking better in 2021 we can't wait to travel again. Doesn't suck to live in a place with 350 days of sunshine, blue skies and zero humidity either!

I have been retired for 7 years. My husband retired a few years later. We had a couple of years travelling and having a wonderful time. In 2018 he got cancer. He was previously never sick, very healthy. He passed away in 2019. My advise to any of you are thinking on retiring is do it as soon as you can.

I am healthy and hoping to travel again as well as soon as covid is under control again. This time with friends rather than my hubby. I found when I first retired I was always wondering what I was forgetting. It took me a year to finally relax into it, but I love the leisure now. I also find I appreciate the small things like a nice day or sunset more than I used to. Love it.

I have been retired for 7 years. My husband retired a few years later. We had a couple of years travelling and having a wonderful time. In 2018 he got cancer. He was previously never sick, very healthy. He passed away in 2019. My advise to any of you are thinking on retiring is do it as soon as you can.

I am healthy and hoping to travel again as well as soon as covid is under control again. This time with friends rather than my hubby. I found when I first retired I was always wondering what I was forgetting. It took me a year to finally relax into it, but I love the leisure now. I also find I appreciate the small things like a nice day or sunset more than I used to. Love it.

I am sorry for your loss, Tipsy. I endorse your sentiment.

The comment has resonated with me, then this year my brother, 59, was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. I've got 4 siblings and if you asked any of us who would live the longest, we all would said it's the one who is now dying.

I will admit that my sister dying of cancer at 58 got my attention! I am 57 now...

Retired and had a great life. Enjoyed my time. Got some relaxing time!

Then...............my wife retired :oops:😂

One description of retirement that I have heard is: "Half the money, twice the spouse!" 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:
Stress from a previous job contributed to my mild heart attack and blocked arteries in 2017. A year ago was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. As soon as I get Medicare, I'm out of the work force to enjoy what time I have left.
* one can apply for Medicare at 64 1/2 so that there is no lag time.
* if health is influencing work there is SSI-D which includes health care.

health is , , , well you are not the first I met who work because of insurance, , , , I have been a single parent for someone who qualified for SSI-D , , , , this part of America needs to be fixed

May God be gentle on you

Back