Retirement VS working

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It struck me this morning that once I retired, my appreciation for the simple things has drastically increased.

For example,

When I was working, my head was filled with worry. Worry about driving through snow, worry about getting to work on time, worry on how the traffic will be going home, and worry about getting my project done on time.

In short, my life was constantly about time pressure and worry.

This morning, i woke up to this..

Sunset.jpg

It was like the sky was on fire.

To think that I never noticed the splendor of things like this. I was always too busy.

Smell the roses folks!

The roses can be there, even when you are a working bum, like me. But you have to remember that taking the time to play with the grandkids, appreciating the things around you is time very well spent. I even recommend taking five or ten minutes a day to sit in quiet reflection, with just your thoughts. Some call it prayer, some call it meditation, I call it time to remember who you are.

It struck me this morning that once I retired, my appreciation for the simple things has drastically increased.

For example,

When I was working, my head was filled with worry. Worry about driving through snow, worry about getting to work on time, worry on how the traffic will be going home, and worry about getting my project done on time.

View attachment 71262

To think that I never noticed the splendor of things like this. I was always too busy.

Smell the roses folks!
I retired 10 months ago and feel as you do.

@JohnT, working from home for the last 11 months because of the pandemic has done that for me. It has been a wonderful experience and I am going to really HATE going back to the office. My BP numbers are 20-25 points lower than they were when I was commuting and working at the office, since I am much less pressurized to get everything done outside office hours.

Since I am in control of my workflow here, I can do things as they best suit me, not for someone else who just popped in my office to ruin my entire day. I'm actually more efficient for my employer this way, too. But they are pressing hard for everyone to get vaccinated and get back to the grind.

I'm locked in for 18 months and 25 days in order to pick up a second small pension. I said that to a retired friend, and he said, "That sounds like a prison sentence" Yes sir, it sure does. :p

My favorite Chris Rea song...

I have an Excel file on my personal drive at work titled Days To Retirement. I just checked, it's at 794 days. I am SO ready to tend my small orchard / berry patch, beehives, chicken flock, make wine, practice my photography again, etc, etc.

I have an Excel file on my personal drive at work titled Days To Retirement. I just checked, it's at 794 days. I am SO ready to tend my small orchard / berry patch, beehives, chicken flock, make wine, practice my photography again, etc, etc.
Unless something unexpected happens, like a pandemic......

I have an Excel file on my personal drive at work titled Days To Retirement.
They have nice little retirement countdown clock apps to install on our phone now.

I’ll have a nice pension in 2 years with 30 years of service. I’ll only be 55. We have no debt and we have saved well for retirement. I feel like I should work past my retirement a few years at least being so young. LOL.

I retired a little over a year ago. After 47 years, last 25 in a fast pace, moderate to high pressure environment. Within one week of retiring, my wife said, "you seem so different"! I've never looked back! I've learned to slow down and enjoy the moment. The hardest lesson learned was that I wasn't in a rush anymore. I could take my time, I didn't have to multitask if I didn't want to! Life is good!

For example,

View attachment 71262

Smell the roses folks!
Red skies in morning, sailors take warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stress from a previous job contributed to my mild heart attack and blocked arteries in 2017. A year ago was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. As soon as I get Medicare, I'm out of the work force to enjoy what time I have left.
Good luck with the Parkinson’s, it seems that it’s a lot worse disease than I thought, sad that as we retire we get all these age related diseases.

I am envious of you guys, but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have been diligently saving for 28 years so that I could retire early (currently 50 y/o). My goal when I started was to retire at 55, but a divorce delayed that timeline, but I think I am on track to retire at 60. I have a golf buddy who is now 74 and he told me about 5 years ago, "Spend some of that money now before you won't be physically able to do the things you plan on doing in retirement". I took that advice and my new wife and I have been travelling and I have taken the time to golf more than I ever have. My buddies and I are doing a golf trip at the end of February. But with a good financial planner and budgeting, I believe I can still retire at 60. We are going to move somewhere warm, still undecide as to where exactly, though. Any suggestions? Doesn't necessarily have to be in the US :)

We are going to move somewhere warm, still undecide as to where exactly, though. Any suggestions?
I'm headed to Port Isabel/South Padre Island (Texas Gulf Coast) in a few weeks to look for a winter home. You should check it out. Weather there is great. There have been a few hurricanes, however. But, no sense living in fear!

I'm headed to Port Isabel/South Padre Island (Texas Gulf Coast) in a few weeks to look for a winter home. You should check it out. Weather there is great. There have been a few hurricanes, however. But, no sense living in fear!
I have not been there yet, but know many people that have. Each one of them said it is a great place. Definitely will check it out!

Latest posts

Back