Removing Sulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I accidently put too much Kmeta in a batch of finished wine. Read the label and thought i was 1/4 tsp per gallon, not 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. Can I splash rack or do anything else to reduce the Kmeta. It tastes fine, but one glass is enough to give me a sulphite reaction.

Does it dissipate with time, or should i try and dilute it by adding an un-sulphited wine?

Last edited:
The SO2 should dissipate over time, usually 24 hours when the correct amount is added, not sure how much longer if any it would take for an overdose.

I normally use campden tablets so I always get the amount right. One tablet per gallon, unless racking when I use 1/2 tablet per gallon.

You can put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the carboy to help remove the SO2, but don't add too much as there are other problems that will cause. Just try three or four drops to the carboy, mix it in, let it set a few days and try a sample. Hydrogen peroxide will bleach the color from a red wine also. This is kinda of a " last resort" type fix.

I agree with Doug as this being a last resort. Besides what he said it will also lead to oxidation. I would splash rack the heck out of it and then if you have a way of measuring the S02, do so. Possibly you could take it to a winery or supply house and ask them if they could test it.

I know not everyone has a vacuum pump - but a friend did the same exact thing and I splash vacuum racked several times and it really seemed to help it alot.

Back