Recommendation for applying wine capsules

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use #9 in my splits also. If you can't use them all in 6-12 months, I would not suggest going this way unless you have someone you can share them with. The corks are 1+1's and cost about .13 each

Wolf, does the wax serve any purpose other than aesthetics? As i understand it, wineries and food plants use capsules to mask discrepancies in fill levels caused by the automated bottling line so if you dont use capsules then why wax? just curious. Also have u noticed any differences in aromas or flavors in long term aging using wax since it probably limits micro oxygenation more than a bare cork would or do you think that amount is too minute to make a noticeable difference?

The wax is for looks and identication only. It serves no other purpose. I have not noticed any difference in tastes. It's also a lot easier then removing the rest of the capsule when cleaning bottles. As soon as you hit the wax with the corkscrew it pops right off without leaving any residue. You could even reuse the wax if you wanted to save it.

The wax looks great!

Actually I don't usually bother with anything but a cork at home. But I supposed I'll have to be more cognizant of the aesthetics when I start producing commercially.

I use a steamer I included a pix. Bought mine for $20 at Biglots, Kohls Tuesday Morning, Target or somplace like that. The hose disconects at the body, making it easy to use for wine production. Also, for gummed lables (the kind you need to wet). A little condensation on the body of the bottle, slap on the lable and your done with the capsule and lable in one easy step.

steamer.jpg

What do you do, spoon it into the top of the bottle? Where did you buy the melter?

ibglowin said:
Just looked close at your Avatar. I have a few bottles of that wine in the Cellar! :r

Man you are lucky I had to fly to California to get my hands on that bottle and we are only allow to bring back 4 bottles. I'm planning a trip to Jerome Arizona in April to taste a d bring back a few more :)

What do you do, spoon it into the top of the bottle? Where did you buy the melter?

Dan very nice! Do you get the wax from PI?

I got the hot plate on Amzon for less than $20.00. Tingo I do spoon it on. Each time I go to Walmart I buy a few of those pans for about $4.00 each and now I have one for each color. This way there is no waste or clean up. I also bought the spoons there dirt cheap.

Yes the wax came from Presque Isle Wine Cellars. They have a lot of different colors. The nice thing is you can also blend them. I blended the red and yellow to make my orange for the orange wine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back