Recommendation for applying wine capsules

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redskins

Reaction score
We are planning to bottle our first batch of wine tonight and we have some of the shrink PVC capsules to add on after corking. Would you recommend tilting the bottles over some boiling water to apply the capsules or a hair dryer? Thanks!

Leave the bottles upright for a few days to be sure you're not going to blow any corks. Then just boil some water - enough to submerge the capsule - and dip them in for 2-4 seconds. I usually apply the foils, then give the bottles a wipe down prior to labeling.

It's been noted here that if you are at higher altitudes, the boiling water method won't work too well and a heat gun is the best approach.

Redskins said:
We are planning to bottle our first batch of wine tonight and we have some of the shrink PVC capsules to add on after corking. Would you recommend tilting the bottles over some boiling water to apply the capsules or a hair dryer? Thanks!

I personally use a heat gun it works great and is super fast. It tried the boiling water...too long and my hair starts to frizz ;)

Not sure a hair dryer is hot enough and will probably overheat before finishing your batch.

I use the heat gun and it works great - takes only a few seconds to do each bottle. I picked mine up from Michaels craft store and I think it was about $10 after coupon.

I have used the tea kettle, once boiling I just hold the bottle over the steam and turn until it has shrunk around the bottle

As said above the hair dryer won't work. I've tried the heat gun and boiling water. They both work great so do which ever your most comfortable with. I bottle, label and capsul all at the same time if I have enough hands. I don't wait.

As said above the hair dryer won't work. I've tried the heat gun and boiling water. They both work great so do which ever your most comfortable with. I bottle, label and capsul all at the same time if I have enough hands. I don't wait.

Thanks you very much :ib

Just curious. I've never used the boiling water method. Do you not trap water underneath the capsule when you do this? I'm just wondering if it makes a difference in the cork of you trap moisture under the capsule prior to it sealing.

Just curious. I've never used the boiling water method. Do you not trap water underneath the capsule when you do this? I'm just wondering if it makes a difference in the cork of you trap moisture under the capsule prior to it sealing.

Greg, no worries. I don't use this method but have demonstrated it several times. I didn't even use a tool to hold it on. Hold the bottom edge of the capsule as you insert it in the water. It immediately begins to shrink so there is no longer a need to hold the capsule on as you submerge it. It seals quickly so by the time you get to the bottom edge no water gets in. A quick wipe with the towel and your on to the next one.

The boil method is actually quicker and neater than the hair dryer. It is also more inconvenient and that is why myself and others would prefer the heat gun.

I actually haven't even used labels for a while now. I've got to sinking my corks an extra 1/4" and apply colored wax in the recessed area. I can still identify my bottles when they're laying down, it's cheaper then capsules and I can apply the wax with a spoon while the bottles are still in the case which means less handling makes it even quicker than capsuling. I can also see the branded corks instead of having them hid behind capsules.

Mike, if you tried this, I don't think you'd go back to capsules.

Sure here you go...

Nice, I do the same thing. Though, I picked up a stamp which fits the diameter of the wax on top of the cork, so I can impress my dragonfly logo. I alternate and will sometimes use glue gun colored glue 'wax' and will use it on the bottle, quickly followed by my stamp/seal. Try to do that when I gift the wine. One day I would love to order custom corks, with my dragonfly incorporated.

Nice, I do the same thing. Though, I picked up a stamp which fits the diameter of the wax on top of the cork, so I can impress my dragonfly logo. I alternate and will sometimes use glue gun colored glue 'wax' and will use it on the bottle, quickly followed by my stamp/seal. Try to do that when I gift the wine. One day I would love to order custom corks, with my dragonfly incorporated.

If you make enough wine to buy 1000 corks at a time then the dragon fly design would be the way to go. The cost is not bad.

The first year I gave away bottles at Christmas I also use the glue gun with wax I bought at the craft store and embossed them. I do not emboss mine now. It just takes way too much patience and half the time they don't work out for me then I have to pull the wax and do it again. They are cool but I noticed not too many people even noticed it.

I just cover my small gravy pot, that has those open groves on the side. The steam comes out from the boiled water. I hold capsule down and turn into the steam, starting from top to bottom until they shrink. Once it shrinks a bit let go so as not to burn your fingers.
@I was thinking about wax, but does it fall back into the bottles at all when you pop the cork? Looks like it will be very messy to open.

The wax looks great. I need to try it someday. I have always liked that look. I use the pvc shrinks dipped in boiling water. Works great! The heat gun works great too but i do not own one myself. The question was asked earlier and if you wipe it down quick with a towel you push out most all the water (if any) that can get under the shrink. I have never had any mold/mildew/etc under the shrink. Most shrinks will have a couple little holes on top to let air in/moisture out. Until i get a heat gun i will use boiling water and they work great.

How long do the custom corks stay fresh. I only use about 250 #9s and 120 #8s per year. The eights are for splits.

Latest posts

Back