Real cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
I bottle a Gewürztraminer in 2011 with a real cork and it is dissolving in the bottle! I will try and post a pic

Dan,

Not sure when I started cork soaking, I was far a while and now I gave it up! Should I be doing it again....I just never saw a reason in it

Dan, You just wanted to accuse someone of being a cork soaker!

Now that I think back I always soaked them in one step solution, thanks for the heads up, wished I knew this 2 years ago!!! Looking thru the cellar that is so far the only one I have found

Dan, You just wanted to accuse someone of being a cork soaker!
I have no idea what you're talking about. :i

Now that I think back I always soaked them in one step solution, thanks for the heads up, wished I knew this 2 years ago!!! Looking thru the cellar that is so far the only one I have found
Rob this is great you brought this up as we just talked about this very thing not too long ago. It may not happen everytime or often, but it will happen. Now that you confessed you're well on your way to rehabilitation.

Yikes I was told to soak them in kmeta for a minimum of 20 minutes! We don't need to clean or sanitize them at all?

LOL Phil I was thinking the same thing!

Maybe I can just give 'em a quick rinse? Because the thought of me using them straight outta the bag I just don't know....

A commercial winery will never soak or spray the corks. If you are using a hand corker, a quick rinse might help on insertion. With a floor corker you would not need to do that.

Keep in mind this is assuming you're buying good corks from a reputable dealer.

It's hard to break people from corksoaking. But if you want them sanitized without the danger of wetness, here is a method for what could be called safe corksoaking. Get a big tupperware container. Put some k-meta solution in it. Get a collander or something similar. Put the corks in it and put the collander in the tupperware so that the corks are not touching the solution and don't slop it around and get them wet. Put the lid on the tupperware for 10 minutes or more. It's the gas released from the k-meta that does the sanitizing, so you don't have to get them wet.
This could give you the general idea, so you could use whatever you have at hand. One word of caution, k-meta is very caustic to metal. That's why I'm suggesting tupperware instead of a big soup pot or something.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back