RJ Spagnols Read the directions. rules change

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to go to step 2 of the 5 kits I started two weeks ago. Now I have done a ton of kits and know the directions without looking. Well its a good thing I checked them out today anyways as they sure changed. Theses are all RJS kits.

The Orange Chocolate Port stayed the same and starting brix was 27.6 or 1.14sg and finished at 1.0sg

The Coffee Port started at 28.1 brix or 1.116 sg and finished at 1.0. With this kit as Flem aluded to you do not add the flavor pack until you are at the bottling stage. I think I'll add it a few weeks before. Sure glad I started using Argon last year so I can fill the void.

The Apple Port was at 1.01sg so I decided to stir the dickens out of the lees and yeast on the bottom and get it down a bit more. So after I muddied up the juice again I looked at my starting numbers. The brix was 29 or 1.22 sg. Now I'm kicking myself after seeing how high the starting sg was I wish I would have just moved on. Now that puts me a week or two behind on that week. What I really mean is now I have to deal with it again in a week or two when I could have done it today and been done with it for a few months.

The Cranapple Chardonnay was the really tricky one. For the clearing stage you get 2 packs of Kieselsol and 1 pack of Chitosan. No problem right? Add both kieselsols, stir wait and add the chitosan. WRONG! Add 1 pack of kieselsol and stir a minute, add chitosan and stir for a minute and then and the second pack of kieselsol and stir. Well I got so wrapped up in those directions I forgot all about adding the fpack before them. So that was the last thing I did. Oh well it's about paying attention to details I guess. :d

Dan, are you all messed up. Sg of 1.14 and another of 1.22??????? I think there should be another 1 after that decimal right?

OMG, Steve (cpfan) is going to kick my butt and I made sure to add RJS in there. Yeap you're right those numbers should have a 1 after each decimal point.

Yeah, I'll kick it to within 3 decimal places of your life.

Steve :w

chuckle.gif

Today I decided to go to step 2 of the 5 kits I started two weeks ago. Now I have done a ton of kits and know the directions without looking. Well its a good thing I checked them out today anyways as they sure changed. Theses are all RJS kits.

The Orange Chocolate Port stayed the same and starting brix was 27.6 or 1.14sg and finished at 1.0sg

The Coffee Port started at 28.1 brix or 1.116 sg and finished at 1.0. With this kit as Flem aluded to you do not add the flavor pack until you are at the bottling stage. I think I'll add it a few weeks before. Sure glad I started using Argon last year so I can fill the void.

The Apple Port was at 1.01sg so I decided to stir the dickens out of the lees and yeast on the bottom and get it down a bit more. So after I muddied up the juice again I looked at my starting numbers. The brix was 29 or 1.22 sg. Now I'm kicking myself after seeing how high the starting sg was I wish I would have just moved on. Now that puts me a week or two behind on that week. What I really mean is now I have to deal with it again in a week or two when I could have done it today and been done with it for a few months.

The Cranapple Chardonnay was the really tricky one. For the clearing stage you get 2 packs of Kieselsol and 1 pack of Chitosan. No problem right? Add both kieselsols, stir wait and add the chitosan. WRONG! Add 1 pack of kieselsol and stir a minute, add chitosan and stir for a minute and then and the second pack of kieselsol and stir. Well I got so wrapped up in those directions I forgot all about adding the fpack before them. So that was the last thing I did. Oh well it's about paying attention to details I guess. :d

Dan, it's interesting that my Coffee Port started at 1.110 and finished at .992. I added my finishing blend at about 7 weeks. I don't plan to bottle for several months and I'm thinking about fortifying it.

Please note the 3 decimal places.

Dan, it's interesting that my Coffee Port started at 1.110 and finished at .992. I added my finishing blend at about 7 weeks. I don't plan to bottle for several months and I'm thinking about fortifying it.

Please note the 3 decimal places.

You're really going to fortify even though your at about 14.5 %? Me thinks ur trying to git someone snickered!
Derukuinaredoutfit.jpg

I too was surprised with the order of the Kieselsol and Chitosan, luckily I had only one kit going and had time to look at the directions. I just bottled this kit last week and the sample we tasted was quite good. I added half the fpack before fermentation and the other half before bottling. I think it would have been too sweet for us otherwise.

I added half the fpack before fermentation and the other half before bottling. I think it would have been too sweet for us otherwise.

I agree with you. This is my second year for doing this kit and I do the same thing. I think this special edition kit will be an annual wine as so many people like it.

Back