Re-Bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
I have a Sangria that I made from a Island Mist Black Raspberry Merlot. Ialso rasied the abv on this kit to 10.5%. Taste great but what appeared to be cleared when we bottled is now showing a lot of sediment in bottle. Can I filter this and re-bottle? Should I add additional K-Meta if I re-bottle?

Rebottleing will be a lot of extra work, but that would be up to you..

You need to put it back in a carboy [ I would add K-Meta]...

Let set for 2-4 weeks to clear..

When clear, rebottle or filter and rebottle...

This is all your call..your wine.....Good Luck

Its a lesson almost everyone has learned hence why we all bulk age our wines much longer then specified in the instructions. Wines will drop lots of sediment at first but they will continue to drop very fine sediment over time.

I learned that with my first kit. Patience is key. If you want to rebottle, it's up to you. Good luck.

I actually made the wine, stabilized it, then cleared it. My Notes below. So even adding Super Kler I can get sed in the wine? Whats in the bottles I believe are large particles of pulp from the fruit. The Kmeta amount says 1 teaspoon but it was less then a 1/4.

<H3>Ingredients</H3>
<TABLE border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH>Date Added</TH>
<TH>Time Added</TH>
<TH>Quantity</TH>
<TH>Measure</TH>
<TH>Ingredient</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/13/2009</TD>
<TD>10:10:35 AM</TD>
<TD>5</TD>
<TD>Bottles</TD>
<TD>Black Raspberry Merlot</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/13/2009</TD>
<TD>10:11:34 AM</TD>
<TD>2</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Freash Pineapple 2</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/13/2009</TD>
<TD>10:12:08 AM</TD>
<TD>6</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Oranges 6</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/13/2009</TD>
<TD>10:12:43 AM</TD>
<TD>1</TD>
<TD>package</TD>
<TD>Pts Freash Strawberries 1 1/2</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/16/2009</TD>
<TD>10:30:37 AM</TD>
<TD>1</TD>
<TD>teaspoon</TD>
<TD>K-Meta to 3 Gallons</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>10:13:35 AM</TD>
<TD>6</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Kiwis 6</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>10:13:58 AM</TD>
<TD>5</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Bananas 5</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>10:15:55 AM</TD>
<TD>3</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Limes 3</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>10:16:21 AM</TD>
<TD>4</TD>
<TD>each</TD>
<TD>Lemons 4</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>10:20:19 AM</TD>
<TD>2</TD>
<TD>gallon</TD>
<TD>Black Raspberry Merlot</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<HR>

<H3>Recipe Instructions</H3>
<TABLE border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH>Input Date</TH>
<TH>Recipe Notes</TH></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/14/2009</TD>
<TD>Sliced All fruit thin and put into a mesh bag. Added all wine and Fruit F-Pac to Fermentation Bucket with lid and airlock. Put into Fridge for 2 1/2 days.</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/16/2009</TD>
<TD>Removed from Fridge and hand Squeezed juice from bag. Transfered to 3 gallon carboy and 1/2 gallon jug. Roughly 3.5 Gallons</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/16/2009</TD>
<TD>DID NOT ADD GINGERALE THIS TIME!</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>08/17/2009</TD>
<TD>Added 1/2 pack of Super Clear to 3 gallon Carboy and small amout to 1/2 gallon jug</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

<HR>

How long after adding the super clear did you bottle??? And did you rack and bottle or bottle from the clearing carboy???

Just so many things that can cause getting sediment in your bottles...But as others have said "Time is on your side"

About 4 days after super kler. And yes I racked then bottled. I know I probably pushed this one not thinking about all the pulp from the fruit. It sounds like it won't do any harm being in there but it sure looks bad. This weekend I think I will empty16 bottles back into carboy and let set for a month or 2

The sediment won't harm you, but I know what you mean by it sure looks bad....I've had my own battles with sediment....If you just pour the bottles into the carboy, I would add some K-Meta to protect it....

By the way your recipe sounds pretty good...

It really taste pretty good for a summer time sit on the deck drink. Probably would let it sit awhile longer in the frig on fruit next time

I opened enough bottles to fill a 1 gallon glass jug. After only 15 mins. I had 1 1/2 of sed in the jug. I will be uncorking the remainingand let sit for a month before rebottling.It will make just a better looking Sangria.

Latest posts

Back