Raspberry transplanting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobp

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in transplanting raspberries?

My son found a patch of raspberries last summer, and when i followed up on his story it turned out to be a huge find... it was in a remote national forrest area, and there were 3-4 miles of logging roads lined with red raspberries... needless to say we went back armed with buckets... we got 3 gallons once ans 2 gallons another... we made raspberry preserves and blackberry raspberry preserves.. they are awesome...i wish i could share... my family has threatened me with death if i keep giving them away..lol
I waited until the temps came down and we wnt back... we dug 30 plants and planted them in a new 6'x20, raised bed with 5-6 in of compost and 3-4 inches of top soil... we planted at the same depth we dug them at... watered, gave a liberal dose of 8-24-24 fertilizer, and now i wondering about it.. I'll mulch tommorrow..after i water again..

i was told they wouldn't do well.. because the new site has full sun... but all the info i read say's they like sun..

Also another person told me they are not "raspberries" but "wineberries"... and he may be right but they sure look like the pics of raspberries to me??

Has anyone ever transplanted wild raspberries before...
i have another empty bed i intend upon planting blackberries and dewberries in soon...

We have transplanted wild ones before digging up the crown with no problems.

If one of those remote national forest wardens sees you walking into his woods with a shovel I dont think they would like that a lot.

Crackedcork

Does anyone have experience in transplanting raspberries?

.. it was in a remote national forrest area, and there were 3-4 miles of logging roads lined with red raspberries......

yeah it is technically wrong, i suppose.. but i'm using the mind set that since my lil 40 is encompased by the same national forest......i'm not really removing them...i'm just helping them spread out a bit...lol because they were over crowded...lol

Technically you can't even eat one berry..without written consent from the state biologist..

i kept the crown's and as much of the root ball as possible..we'll see if they take... i hope so..

Searches of my states plant board,state div of agriculture and the USDA division of invasive plant speciecs site do not list any Rubus, including the
Rubus-phoenicolasius or wine berry, on any lists of plants of concern... a plant type search did not produce anything either??

I really think these are native raspberrys not wine berrys.... they do look similar...

If they are like the rasberries we have here you should have no problem. Trim canes off, leave em on the ground, they root. Cane leans over and touches the ground, it roots. They are the next thing to a weed. Course if you really want em they will probably be tough to start. Good luck, Arne.

Latest posts

Back