WineXpert Rasp/choc port problem(?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Wade. I've got all the sugar added. Do I let it set for a few days, or should I stir it everyday?

Yes but add it to your taste. You may not want it all depending on what sweetness level you want it at and thats why doing everything you can to get this kiut to ferment down as low as possible is so important. The lower you get this the more likely you will be able to add the whole fpac without it becoming too sweet.

Many thanks Wade. You're a big help. Wish I could be of help to you.

been checking SG and stirring . It got down to 1.022 last night. Stirred and tasted. WOW! this is coming together! Alcohol is coming on strong, taste is impressive too. I'm impressed. hopefully in a day or two I can add F-pack. Also, when and should/could I fortify with brandy?:db

If you think it tastes great now wait till you add the fpca as thats where all the flavor is!!!!! I would fortify it after it has cleared for at least a few months!!!

Thanks Wade. So when the f-pack is added, let it set in the carboy for a few months, ( to clear?), then add brandy? How long should that sit before bottling?

Well, seem to be stuck at 1.024. Temp at 79. Been there for about 5-6 days. Tastes GREAT! I stir after checking SG. Any more advice?

Wow! That's still pretty high. Mine stopped at 1.010.

I doubt pitching more yeast will help at all. 79F is also a nice temperature and you are stirring.

Have you contacted WineXpert directly about this? They have so much experience with this kit; they should be able to help. They should have a customer support hot line. (I wouldn't bother contacting the shop where you bought it.)

Contact them and please let us all know what they say.

Outside of that, about all I could recommend is to stir everything up from the bottom completely and continue to keep it warm, as you have been. If SG has not changed in 3 days, it is done. If it does not change, I would be sure and add a couple bottles of brandy to fortify somewhat and to make sure the yeast are dead.

I would make that call!!!

I doubt there is anything that can be done at this point, its where quite a few seem to get stuck. Id stir it deep 1 more time but its probably stuck there. 1 of mine stopped thrreand 2 went a little futher but not much.

Thanks guys. Wade, if it is stuck, does that mean its junk now? I'll check and stir all weekend. Gonna shoot Linda at WE an email for Monday. Dang it! This was smelling and tasting good!

No its not junk!!!! LOL, it wil just be a tad sweeter then stated but its still damn good!! The one that was sweeter after 1 1/2 years tasted exactly the same as the one that went drier after time but when bottled tasted sweeter.

Whew!! Thanks. So if this happens to be all it has, is it time to bottle? And you're saying it won't be as sweet as intended? A little more yeast won't help any?

It will be sweeter then what it was supposed to be but not that much. Yeast at this point is senseless as its already pretty much maxed out with abv which is is what killed the yeast. Maybe the Super encapsulated yeast from Morewine but even that is a 15% chance and not worth it. Keep stirring over the weekend and Monday if it hasnt moved any at all then proceed to the next step. When adding the fpac which is both a flavor and sweetening pac add some and taste so as not to over sweeten in case you dont like it. Remember you can always ad moire sweetness but you cant remove it!

Thanks Wade. You've been helpful and encouraging. We shall see Monday.

I've been following this thread and mine went exactly like the directions. I didn't go by days at all but followed the hydrometer readings. It hit all the marks it was supposed to. Mine was kept around 74º.

Right now it's aging and a sampling last week tells me it's going to be great. My WE Port kit I bottled almost a year ago is really nice now so I have higher hopes for this one.

Hey roblloyd. Glad you had success. I through out going by the days about a month ago. Lol. I'm going by SG now. My main handicap is lack of exp. and knowledge. I know with everything in life there are tricks to help succeed. I am a cabinet maker, I know about tricks and stuff. What I don't know here yet is how long this kit can sit? Will/is the SG slowly dropping? Or should I stir clockwise on even number days and twice as fast in reverse on odd numbered days? Lol. I'm trying and paying attention to any help I get.

The standard rule of thumb is three days at the same S.G. means a stopped fermentation. I would go ahead and just sulfite at that point and rack to secondary.

Latest posts

Back