Other Raisons no good?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vernsgal,
I think a good test would be to make the exact kit doing everything exactly the same except for the raisins and then compare the two, but honestly, it really isn't a matter of who is right and who is wrong, those who prefer to add them, will add them, those who don't want to, won't.
As long as we are aware of the potential risks, I feel that we've all accomplished what I believe WMT is here for, to learn and advance/improve our wine making skills.

As long as we are aware of the potential risks, I feel that we've all accomplished what I believe WMT is here for, to learn and advance/improve our wine making skills.
That Tom is exactly why I joined. :try I can google many things. I come to the site not to see a cut and paste from the internet but to hear 1st hand experience and lessons. Gathering the pros and cons and making your choice on these is how we learn (I believe anyways),( and also by our own foibles, lol)
I'm sure it'll be a debate like glass or plastic carboys. I'm just looking for the opinions on this , for and against and the why's. Has anyone had something bad happen to their wine from just adding raisins? Has anyone had anything good happen to their wine from just adding raisins?

I have only added raisin to wine once..it was a fig wine..I have no idea what the raising did are did not do...I had never had a fig wine to compare it too.

Raisins are made from Thompson seedless grapes, black Corinth or Zante currants typically. I have used them a few times. They can add a depth of fruit and have that rich dried fruit flavor. I like to add them to ports mostly.

Turock, what do you do for a living.

Seriously James! If Turock wanted everyone to know that, he would have that in his profile. You really need to be more sensitive to members privacy. I do not understand what someone's occupation has to do with their knowledge of winemaking.

I actually thought he made wine for a winery....meaning he has credentials.
I wasnt trying be insensitive.....besides, he could have pmed me and just said it was none of my business....which would have been fine....
Asking someone what they do for a living is not an out of character question.

http://www.juicegrape.com/

in autumn M&M sells california grapes on the east coast , they probably have a reseller near west georgia
in spring they sell chilean grapes.

you could also buy a pail of frozen must , thaw it out repackage and refreeze it.

failing that in the summer contact an italian community center in the nearest big city to you.
they'll know where to get grapes

Last edited:
I love this forum. One of my favorite times of day is when I have the opportunity to read what you are all saying about winemaking. It is worthwhile for the newbies like myself to hear differing opinions. I work as a biomedical scientist and in my profession we all agree to disagree. Somehow the truth emerges over time. However I agree with pumpkin man that the only way to know for sure is to make a kit with and without the addition of raisins. With that said everybody's palate can be quite different. I have friends who refuse to drink any New World wines including high-end California cabs. Go figure.

Zac doesn't actually say raisins are bad
he raises a legitimate concern about oxidized character ( apart from port and sherry you might call this a flaw)
and highlights that adding them after the initial ferment has gone dry can cause some problems with stuck ferments and h2s and nutrient issues.
he also highlights the problems of adding them post primary and also introducing mlf simultaneously raising VA risk.

and he states that inactivated yeast and tannins and making your own grape packs produce better results due to a lack of oxidised character.

sounds reasonable and science and experience based.

Last edited:
Turock, my apologies if i offended you by asking what you did for a living.
I know now, indeed sir ...You have credentials...I have used so much of your advise to others...Thanks.

Zac doesn't actually say raisins are bad , xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
he raises a legitimate concern about oxidized character ( apart from port and sherry you might call this a flaw)
and highlights that adding them after the initial ferment has gone dry can cause some problems with stuck ferments and h2s and nutrient issues.
he also highlights the problem of adding them post primary and also introducing mlf simultaneously raising VA risk.

and he states that inactivated yeast and tannins and making your own grape packs produce better results due to a lack of oxidised character.

sounds reasonable and science and experience based.

Altavino, in your last post you made the comment that the thread that you posted the link to was something that you did but it was bzac who created that thread. One would wonder if the two of you are one and the same, especially since you both post from the same IP no matter what country you are in.

Last edited:
That Tom is exactly why I joined. :try I can google many things. I come to the site not to see a cut and paste from the internet but to hear 1st hand experience and lessons. Gathering the pros and cons and making your choice on these is how we learn (I believe anyways),( and also by our own foibles, lol)
I'm sure it'll be a debate like glass or plastic carboys. I'm just looking for the opinions on this , for and against and the why's. Has anyone had something bad happen to their wine from just adding raisins? Has anyone had anything good happen to their wine from just adding raisins?

I will add my opinion here. I must be in the minority but I have added raisins to most of my red wines. I find that it increases body and mouth feel substantially. as an example, I bought 2 buckets each of California Barolo and Amarone. I added one pound of raisins to one bucket of each and for the rest of the experiment everything else was the same. the difference in those wines is remarkable. the ones without raisins are good with light to medium body. the ones with raisins is darn near chewy!
I have never experienced an off taste from the raisins and I now use them in almost every red wine I make.

Phil that is good to know about the pails. Are you adding them immediately or after racking. I think there could be a difference between pails and kits possibly. Have you tried them on kits?

Phil that is good to know about the pails. Are you adding them immediately or after racking. I think there could be a difference between pails and kits possibly. Have you tried them on kits?

Dan, I usually add them to the bucket immediately. They are a bit of a PITA if placed in the carboy. I've never used them in a kit but I don't make kits anymore since I've discovered the juice buckets.

I will add my opinion here. I must be in the minority but I have added raisins to most of my red wines. I find that it increases body and mouth feel substantially. as an example, I bought 2 buckets each of California Barolo and Amarone. I added one pound of raisins to one bucket of each and for the rest of the experiment everything else was the same. the difference in those wines is remarkable. the ones without raisins are good with light to medium body. the ones with raisins is darn near chewy!
I have never experienced an off taste from the raisins and I now use them in almost every red wine I make.
Thanks Phil that's the kind of input I'm looking for ( and no I don't mean because you are for raisins, I mean someone who has used them and can offer their experience regardless of credentials) No offense James but I don't come here for that.

Dan, I usually add them to the bucket immediately. They are a bit of a PITA if placed in the carboy. I've never used them in a kit but I don't make kits anymore since I've discovered the juice buckets.

Thanks Phil, that is exactly when I was adding them also. I agree about the carboy difficulty. I even throw mine in a paint strainer bag for ease of removal.

I've never used them in a kit but I don't make kits anymore since I've discovered the juice buckets.
Thanks Phil. I 'm curious to what difference you have you found, personally, between the juice buckets and kits? I've done both (mostly kits) but have never really noted anything that makes one differ from other? But then I've mostly done kits so can't really compare. Also to note: I've added raisins to kits not pails and fruit to pails not raisins. Always learning on these. :b

Latest posts

Back