Raisins what kind can I use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
Okay so as I understand you can add raisins to boots the flavor into your wine. Now I was looking at ingredients in raisins and noticed that they contain some vegetable or sunflower oil. Is that okay or do I have to find some that are dried naturally? Thanks

Do they have any of the contents that Gloo speaks of?
Is that what you're using in your Carmenere juice bucket? Where did you get them?

You should put HOT water, could use boiling.... and discard that water... most of the oil will float away.

Debbie

Raisins add a lot to your wine.

They will add flavor and mouthfeels as they add some body to the wine. But beware.

Use light raisins for white wines and dark raisins for a red wine or they might also add color to the wine.

Next they contain about 50% sugar. So adjust the sugar levels in your must accordingly.

Raisins also add nutrient, but that is a good thing and nothing to worry about.

They are most often sulphited. So rinse them well before adding to a wine.

Next soak them overnight in water that makes it much easier to chop them up.

Read my whole story on rasins here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/11/rozijnen-raisins.html

Luc

Okay so as I understand you can add raisins to boots the flavor into your wine. Now I was looking at ingredients in raisins and noticed that they contain some vegetable or sunflower oil. Is that okay or do I have to find some that are dried naturally? Thanks

I would avoid any raisins that have added oils. But like Debbie said, you could rinse them in hot water, but......

The better choice is to go with organic raisins and rinse/soak them, anyway. As Luc said, soak them over night and chop them up some, as opening up the raisins allows the solids to better mix with the must.

Just as a side, some feel that raisins add an "oxidized" taste to a wine. (That's just one opinion.) Depending on the variety of the wine, you can add a grape pack (from Finevinewines.com) instead.

I get my raisins @ Sams Club
I get the the 2-pak = 4.5#'s
I use one (2 1/4#) to each Chilean red
I just throw them in (no hot water or cooking / chopping)

Tom, do you put them in a bag??

Boy am I glad to hear you say that. I was starting to get worried as that was what I did. I only added one 15oz box of golden raisins from Walmart to each red. I waited till fermentation began.

Tom, do you put them in a bag??
They are real easy for removal so no bag. Now if you feel more comfortable with a bag .. go for it.
I use a kitchen strainer to remove them @ 1.015

Boy am I glad to hear you say that. I was starting to get worried as that was what I did. I only added one 15oz box of golden raisins from Walmart to each red. I waited till fermentation began.
I dont think one pound is enough for 6 gal.

That actually is the standard amount that comes in a kit.

I have made 4 now (all Mosti Italian varietals) I think you risk the wine coming out tasting more like fermented raisins rather than wine with any larger addition.......... :d

Caveat emptor!

I dont think one pound is enough for 6 gal.

Does adding raisins change the alcohol at all or just more body?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back