Raisins or fruit in a kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryW

Reaction score
:?If I add raisins or fruit to a kit do I have to worry about them being sulfited before addition to primary? Since you don't normally add campden to the must, wait 2 hrs and pitch yeast in a kit like fruit wine. I'm wondering if the raisins will contaminate the kit.
Thanks

I am not certain on this. But if you want to add raisins. Cover them with boiling water, rinse them and do it again. Then chop them up. I know there are several theads in here dealing with raisins. I'll see if I can come up with something for you.

If you are adding fruit to a kit I would get the kit started first and once its going then add the fruit as the wine yeast will be stronger and not let the natural yeast do anything. If you do sulfite the fruit and add it in the very begiining then you need to wait 24 hours before adding yeast.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the nice way you help me and each other.
Wish I could be a "helper" more than a "learner":h

If adding raisins I get mine from Sams Club the 2 pak. I then add ONE pack. I think its 2+#'s. Like Wade said wait till it starts fermenting then add to primary.

If you pass on what you learn in here, no repayment is necessary.

The sign of a true wise person is sharing the knowledge that is learned.

Got it from an old Chinese Kung Fu movie. Lines like that seem to work on foreign women too!! LOL

Adding Fruit to a Kit (Refer to the latest copy of Winemaker Mag)

*start with a 10 gal fermenter at least*

Add frozen fruit (15-20lbs depending fruit) to fermenter with 10lbs sugar....

let sit for approx 2-3 days in a cool place. Sugar will macerate the fruit via osmotic pressure and create a juice/slurry of sorts.

Add kit on top of fruit and then add water to get desired starting S.G.

follow all instructions on kit

**will need to add pectic enzyme to fruit slurry** prior to starting kit...

I will be accomplishing this experiment in the next couple weeks....will let you know how it turns out

Adding Fruit to a Kit (Refer to the latest copy of Winemaker Mag)

*start with a 10 gal fermenter at least*

Add frozen fruit (15-20lbs depending fruit) to fermenter with 10lbs sugar....

let sit for approx 2-3 days in a cool place. Sugar will macerate the fruit via osmotic pressure and create a juice/slurry of sorts.

Add kit on top of fruit and then add water to get desired starting S.G.

follow all instructions on kit

**will need to add pectic enzyme to fruit slurry** prior to starting kit...

I will be accomplishing this experiment in the next couple weeks....will let you know how it turns out

Dont just add sugar without taking a hydrometer reading. BTW, I have never added 10#'s of sugar to any of my fruit wines. Usually in the 7-8# range tops.
Remember you are shooting for 1.080-1.085 tops.

Tom,

Perhaps I misread the thread...

The question/statement was "....incorprating fruit with a kit"

Check out T Vandergrifts article in Winemaker Mag...

Correction: for a standard 6 gallon kit....one could use 6-8lbs sugar as Tom mentioned. Vandergrift used two 6 gallon kits and ended up adding enough water for approx 15 gallons of must. At the end, he had just over 12 gallons of wine....sorry for the confusion

The goal of adding the sugar to the strawberries to extract all the juice from the berries themselves (i.e. similar to extracting the juice with a steamer)

Once all the juice is extracted (approx 3 days) the kit is added to the strawberry juice. Clearly, the S.G. will be through the roof here....As a result, water should be added in 1/2 gallon increments until desired S.G is reached. Thus the reason for a larger fermenter.

Anyway, just wanted to add some clarification here

Last edited:
Info dully noted. Still alot of sugar and not sure what it would wind up with in a kit. When doing this start slow. you can always add but cant take away.

Latest posts

Back