raisins in Secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derunner

Reaction score
I'm making the WE Mezza Luna red and have added a couple pounds of raisins to the secondary. I racked later than I thought and it was already at .998 so should have checked yesterday, but I figured it could wait another day. Hopefully there are live yeast still that will convert any sugar the raisins add. I could add more EC1118 yeast if I don't start seeing some action.

How long should the raisins stay in the secondary? I am out of town next week on day 8-12 from now.

Do I stir up the raisins each day?

No need to stir raisins. I leave them in until I'm ready to rack off of the fermentation. 5-30 days so you can see I am not so worried about time.

I'm with Dan. I've let them soak in there for a month before. As a matter of fact, I would recommend leaving them for while, you will be impressed with the results.

I saw there was a second raisin post, about the same time I started mine. So I posted this question on that one since it mentioned they raisin plump up and float to the top. Do you bag these raisins at the end and squeeze out the juice, or is that just lost wine?

derunner: I have not bagged and squeezed the raisins before, but I suppose you could. What you are really looking for is the interaction with the skins.

Phador: The interaction of the wine with the raisins imparts more tannins, body, and grape flavor. The mouth-feel and taste will improve significantly. Give it a try. I have turned a cheap kit into a good wine and a good kit into a great wine using this technique. I have also tried other fruits---mangos or apricots in white wine, and currants in red---all with good results.

Thanks All

Anyone know if Craisins add good things to a wine like raisins? I'm looking at make a Cranberry wine and may not be able to find fresh or frozen cranberries this time of year.

Latest posts

Back