Quantcast

Mosti Mondiale Raisins and Grape Skins

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

rustbucket

Reaction score
I'm making a Renaissance Nebbiolo, my first Mosti Mondiale branded kit. Starting it today, I noticed that it came with oak chips, a grape pack, and a raisin pack. The instructions say to put only one of the fruit packs in, but not both. I chose the grape pack. Oak chips are slated to go into the secondary fermention carboy at the first racking. The addition of the unused raisin or grape pack is not mentioned in the instructions.

Is it normal to get both fruit packs with these Renaissance kits with the left over pack not getting used?

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest calling Mosti as to there philosophy on the use of the two packs.

rustbucket

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation on the use of both, @Chuck E . Since I'm already beyond primary in this wine kit's process, I'll save the raisin pack of another red wine kit that lacks neither grape skins nor raisins.

WillShill

Reaction score
Hi just started on Friday a Mosti Mondiale Vinifera kit and I also added the All Grape pack which is 4KG massive, so I topped up to 22 litres and the added grapes, I’ve now got 26/27 in my fermenter, I originally planned extended maceration of skins for 5/6 weeks but my concern is I’ll have over 23 litres when moving to carboy, not the worst issue it’s normally the opposite, I can store in bottles but then adding clearing product becomes complicated. Any ideas

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation on the use of both, @Chuck E . Since I'm already beyond primary in this wine kit's process, I'll save the raisin pack of another red wine kit that lacks neither grape skins nor raisins.
FWIW, I used both raisins and black currants bulk aging of wines along with additional oak. I have had good results with this. I keep an airlock on the vessel to protect against the effects of refermentation. I have done this in 5 and 6 gallon carboys and 54 liter demijohns. Just a thought.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
What the raisins add is depth to heavy reds , to much quantity no good, a cup or two gives good balance with the addition of the fpac.
This is also a good combination for a higher ABV. Wine.
Like a Super tuscan.style ,got it ?

MHSKIBUM

Junior
Reaction score
I've been really happy with a Nebbiolo kit that came with dried grape skins and started researching what grape skins add to wine. I noticed an article about Welch's investigating table grape skins as a way to enhance cheaper reds. If I were to add grape skins from black table grapes I buy at the grocery store (after I've crushed them for grape juice) would that help an inexpensive Cab Sauvignon kit that I'm ready to start? Any thoughts about using black raisins as an alternative? If so, do I crush the raisins or put them in straight from the package?

Chuck E

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been really happy with a Nebbiolo kit that came with dried grape skins and started researching what grape skins add to wine. I noticed an article about Welch's investigating table grape skins as a way to enhance cheaper reds. If I were to add grape skins from black table grapes I buy at the grocery store (after I've crushed them for grape juice) would that help an inexpensive Cab Sauvignon kit that I'm ready to start? Any thoughts about using black raisins as an alternative? If so, do I crush the raisins or put them in straight from the package?
I have done both. I used one box of Zanti Currants (raisins) in a Cab juice bucket, and about 5 lbs. of black seedless grapes in a Malbec juice bucket.
Just dropped the currants in the primary bucket. They swell up pretty quick, I did not crush them.
Crushed the black grapes and dumped them into the primary bucket.

The raisins give the wine an Italian flavor. The grapes seemed to produce a better mouthfeel in the wine.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Yes your correct on both counts shins add texture and structure to the base, raisins add a death of flavor always remember when adding raisins less is more ,1cup per 5.5 or 6 gallon batch is enough in the primary.

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had great success in adding 4 oz of dried elderberries to a kit for added tannin. takes about 6 months to year to smooth out but it is great.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Thinking outside the box is being creative isn't it 🍷👍

Brian55

Senior Wino
Reaction score
Yes your correct on both counts shins add texture and structure to the base, raisins add a death of flavor always remember when adding raisins less is more ,1cup per 5.5 or 6 gallon batch is enough in the primary.
Shins and death sounds less than optimal.

joeswine

joeswine
Reaction score
Should have been depth ,and are very good for the big red wines , Amarone, brunelle, sanginovese.