Mosti Mondiale Raisins and Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm making a Renaissance Nebbiolo, my first Mosti Mondiale branded kit. Starting it today, I noticed that it came with oak chips, a grape pack, and a raisin pack. The instructions say to put only one of the fruit packs in, but not both. I chose the grape pack. Oak chips are slated to go into the secondary fermention carboy at the first racking. The addition of the unused raisin or grape pack is not mentioned in the instructions.

Is it normal to get both fruit packs with these Renaissance kits with the left over pack not getting used?

Hi just started on Friday a Mosti Mondiale Vinifera kit and I also added the All Grape pack which is 4KG massive, so I topped up to 22 litres and the added grapes, I’ve now got 26/27 in my fermenter, I originally planned extended maceration of skins for 5/6 weeks but my concern is I’ll have over 23 litres when moving to carboy, not the worst issue it’s normally the opposite, I can store in bottles but then adding clearing product becomes complicated. Any ideas

Thanks for the confirmation on the use of both, @Chuck E . Since I'm already beyond primary in this wine kit's process, I'll save the raisin pack of another red wine kit that lacks neither grape skins nor raisins.
FWIW, I used both raisins and black currants bulk aging of wines along with additional oak. I have had good results with this. I keep an airlock on the vessel to protect against the effects of refermentation. I have done this in 5 and 6 gallon carboys and 54 liter demijohns. Just a thought.

What the raisins add is depth to heavy reds , to much quantity no good, a cup or two gives good balance with the addition of the fpac.
This is also a good combination for a higher ABV. Wine.
Like a Super tuscan.style ,got it ?

I've been really happy with a Nebbiolo kit that came with dried grape skins and started researching what grape skins add to wine. I noticed an article about Welch's investigating table grape skins as a way to enhance cheaper reds. If I were to add grape skins from black table grapes I buy at the grocery store (after I've crushed them for grape juice) would that help an inexpensive Cab Sauvignon kit that I'm ready to start? Any thoughts about using black raisins as an alternative? If so, do I crush the raisins or put them in straight from the package?

I've been really happy with a Nebbiolo kit that came with dried grape skins and started researching what grape skins add to wine. I noticed an article about Welch's investigating table grape skins as a way to enhance cheaper reds. If I were to add grape skins from black table grapes I buy at the grocery store (after I've crushed them for grape juice) would that help an inexpensive Cab Sauvignon kit that I'm ready to start? Any thoughts about using black raisins as an alternative? If so, do I crush the raisins or put them in straight from the package?

I have done both. I used one box of Zanti Currants (raisins) in a Cab juice bucket, and about 5 lbs. of black seedless grapes in a Malbec juice bucket.
Just dropped the currants in the primary bucket. They swell up pretty quick, I did not crush them.
Crushed the black grapes and dumped them into the primary bucket.

The raisins give the wine an Italian flavor. The grapes seemed to produce a better mouthfeel in the wine.

Yes your correct on both counts shins add texture and structure to the base, raisins add a death of flavor always remember when adding raisins less is more ,1cup per 5.5 or 6 gallon batch is enough in the primary.

I have had great success in adding 4 oz of dried elderberries to a kit for added tannin. takes about 6 months to year to smooth out but it is great.

Yes your correct on both counts shins add texture and structure to the base, raisins add a death of flavor always remember when adding raisins less is more ,1cup per 5.5 or 6 gallon batch is enough in the primary.
Shins and death sounds less than optimal.

Should have been depth ,and are very good for the big red wines , Amarone, brunelle, sanginovese.

In a continuation away from the original topic, I recently added 1kg of Saskatoon berries to a Malbec kit. It's still resting but early results are very promising. Has added body and tannins.
Bottom line is it's your wine, add what you want. Be aware that when you drift far from the instructions, you own it and company guarantees are void.

Owning it is the true calling of a wine maker you can make a kit by instructions then you can step to the left or right of that and own it , that's the gun part when you can say I did it.

Latest posts

Back