raisin wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaluba

Reaction score
I finally decided on raisin wine. I have everything i need for it. Any sugesstions? I got it out of the recipe handbook.

Hi Kaluba

I would say go for it . You have to get started on this hobby. My first batch was blackberry in 1995. Then I did a gallon of peach,Took a break for about 3 years and am really hooked.
smiley32.gif

Harry

Raisin Wine Recipe 1 Gal.
2lbs raisins
7pts water
3-1/2 acid blend
1-3/4lb sugar
1 tsp nutrient
1 crushed campden
1 pkg wine yeast

Your going to need pectic enzyme to help break down the fruit. you can get it in powder or liquid form. This is a must for all fruit wines as it will also help break up the natural pectin in fruit that will not let the wine clear. It will end up with a nasty looking haze. Any wine supply store will have this and you just have to read the instruction on the product as to how much to add. Add all ingredients except sugar and acid blend if you have an acid tester. If you dont, just go ahead and do it to taste as the acid blend will make it more tart. I usually dont add it till later as it will raise as its drawn out of the fruit. As for sugar, check your SG before adding the sugar and gradually add it till you have an SG around 1.085.

The method says to mince raisins. do i still need pectic enzyme. I have that already so that wont be a problem.

How much pectic enzyme would i add to the raisins per gallon. 2 lbs raisins per gal. This is going to be a six gal. recipe.

What are the instructions on your pectic enzyme, if there arent any, tell us what kind it is. In ex., is it a tiny little eye dropper or a powder.

AhI got it! The directions say 1/2 tsp. Per gal. or 1/10 tsp/lb of fruit. Thanks everybody im well on my way now. I should have more duuhhh questions soon. I know yall will be there for me.
smiley1.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley31.gif

The raisins throw a lot of sediment and Bert says, "Be sure you are long on the water; on a gallon batch about a quart. That will help you when you rack."

Start off with enough so when you rack you have a good gallon left, you will lose a bit at the racking due to allot of sediment, so start off with a little extra now instead of adding later.

so six an a half gallons water in the primaryshould be good for six gallons recipe. Thank yall very much for the help. What starting SG should i look for?

Im curious if the recipe calls for 7 pts for a gallon batch. How in the world will it make a gal. of wine? Its take 8 pints of water to make a gallon.
smiley38.gif
So should go ahead an change the recipe? "Thus going long on the water"Edited by: kaluba

Latest posts

Back