RACKS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Spotted these two beauties along the fence from the road yesterday out in the soybean stubble...

A couple Lefties....

AcoupleLeftiesSmall.jpg

We know there are more out there and have to 'glean' the field before the tractors get out there for spring work....they really mess up a tractor tire.

We saw about 30 deer out in that field one evening this winter...

Hope it dries out this week and we can get out there on some 4 wheelers...or walk.

What a great way to spend an afternoon, walking fields. I don't think we'll be doing any of that soon with the snow and rain. What an ugly April Fool's day joke the snow is!
smiley19.gif

Got a fresh batch this morning! A cruel April Fool's day joke on me! Here's a picture of our yard this morning.

20070401_160206_Texas_0307_068.jpg

April showers bring May flowers, but this isn't the kind of showers I was wanting!
smiley18.gif

Looks beautiful. Wish I was there. Then I could have some your wonderful meal of the week.

Think Im over the snow, here is a pict of a storm comming in. Looks beautiful

20070401_165006_100_0260.jpg

Oh N.W. My hubby saw these and said, hummmm two different deer..... but they look great. looks like the ones on our deck.

Ippymiss said:
Oh N.W. My hubby saw these and said, hummmm two different deer..... but they look great. looks like the ones on our deck.

After looking at them again they are 'Righties'...both right sided antlers shed off two different bucks.......often you'll find the other one nearby, guess they get lob-sided and shake their heads untill theother sheds off.......These were shook off when they jumped the fence....remeinds me of kids loosing their teeth...they get loose and then they are just gone.

20070402_142927_Neighbors_deck.jpg
20070402_143042_Neighbors_bushe.jpg
Northern Winos said:
Ippymiss said:

After looking at them again they are 'Righties'...both right sided antlers shed off two different bucks.......often you'll find the other one nearby, guess they get lob-sided and shake their heads untill theother sheds off.......These were shook off when they jumped the fence....remeinds me of kids loosing their teeth...they get loose and then they are just gone.

some pics from last fall.

My neighbor has those too. I told him its nothing to be ashamed of, there are forest rats everywhere here. The top two pictures are his house.

I avoid discussing mine. The muleys and whitetails have no clue their different.
smiley5.gif
As long as they dont leave hoofprints in the wood, I let them lay by the deck.

20070402_143615_trying_to_hide_.jpg

Edited by: Mike777

Any Hunters out there. I have a picture of a moose that a friend got last fall that you would not believe. I will post it if people want to see it.

Yep! I like em soaked in milk and floured with salt and pepper just as much as hanging around.

Edited by: Mike777

Here it is. If you don't like hunting don't look. Measures 52" across rack.

You know your Moose is big when you have to call a buddy with a tow truck.
20070403_090140_moose.JPG

That's a really big one and an unusual rack too.

When we bought this place we didn't live here for awhile...we use to come up regularly, planted a crop and 'camped' here on weekends, Christmas, New Years, etc....When we finally moved here for good we came in mid winter....there was a cow and calf moose living in the yard..had been eating the lawn and bedding down in the lilacs...it was so neat...once we were here full full timewith the dogs they moved on.

We have found one old smaller moose antler here, it had been chewed on by critter. Last fall we almost hit one with the pickup...I could see it's eyelashes...it was that close...we were just flying down the hiway at night and it crossed in front of us running a full speed...we didn't even have time to hit the brakes...just looked at each other and said..."That was a big moose"..it was frightening..the headlights were hitting right on it's lower thighs..it would have come over and through the windshield.
smiley3.gif

Now we see about one moose a year, they are not doing too well in this area...some sort of disease from the white tail deer, maybe T.B...we had gotten close to the cow and calf in our yard that winter and they were coughing.....too bad they are fun to spot....Jim saw one last week, about a 900 pounder....had no horns this time of the year, so didn't know if it was a young bull.

Thanks for Posting the photo.Edited by: Northern Winos

Heh Northern, another hobby I have taken up recently is turning. If you want to send me some racks, I will return the favor by turning you a nice pen and sending it back. I have never turned anything but wood, but am looking forward to turning things like antler. From what I have seen, they make very unique pens.

Do you prefer Cross, Parker, or Monte Blanc? I can do all three styles.

Latest posts

Back