Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
How do you know when and how often to rack. Here is what I have been doing, how about adding to or taking away from this.
When the must reaches about 1.010 to 1.005 I don't rack, I just dip it out and pour it into the carboy (I figure it's still working and will create a pad and purge the air out thru the air lock). After the SpGr reaches 0.995 or lower, I watch it for a few days and if it doesn't move I rack it to another carboy with air lock also. I then add sorbate and k-meta and back sweeten. Then I let it set for a couple of weeks and if it isn't clear, I'll add some Bentonite or Superkleer and let that set for a couple of weeks and then bottle it. So, I usually only rack it two times then bottle it. ??

Thanks

Semper Fi

After you rack you should sulfite it and clear with a fining agent. (although you do not have to). After 4 to 6 weeks rack off the sediment. Age then a few weeks prior to bottling sweeten and sorbate.

Adding sugar etc. and sorbate that early to fermentation some yeasts will still be surviving dispite a bad environment and can still ferment your yeast. With proper amounts of sorbate they can still ferment but not reproduce. They will just live out their life.

Are those grape or fruit wines?

If they are grape (red especially) you might want to bulk age them, rack as the sediment builds up, and sulphite every 4 months.

Johns post left out Racking on a day when you are bored and need something to do. Like the Lurker said, John has it right. there is no set time

Johns post left out Racking on a day when you are bored and need something to do. Like the Lurker said, John has it right. there is no set time

I agree Mike! On days that I am bored I look at my carboys and say look there is a little dusting in the bottom I guess it is time to rack...

Not too soon is my best advice. I have a Cellar Craft 'Old Vine Zinfandel' in secondary now. When the SG got down to about 1.010 I squeezed out the grape skin bag and racked it to a carboy. Came back a few hours later and it had blown a bunch of wine through the airlock and misted it through the tiny holes in the cap all over my wine making area. Lost about 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of wine this way. Whoops!

I rack when I have about 3/4" of sediment that has been in thre for a few weeks and is done fermenting. You want to always let them compact a little or youll be wasting time and wine IMO. Once its been cleared a while Ill let it sit for months even if it is still dropping some fine sediment as that wont hurt anything. Ill rack off that a few weeks before I plan on bottling just to let anything settle if I stir some up a little.

Isn't there a "3"s rule about that - something like:
3 Days after it's dry
3 Weeks in Secondary
3 Months to Age

?????

For me, 1 week to ferment, 4-6 weeks to fully clear. 6-12 months to age/carboy then bottle and age

I usually primary for 5 to 7 days and the siphon off into a secondary with a airlock. Then I will rack in a month with sulfite and again in two months till clear. I will then stablize and sweeten as needed. Ofcoures if there is a lot of sediment it is okay to rack as needed as well.

I've read that some people add campden or k-meta each time or every other time when they rack and then there are some said that they don't. Should i be adding this when i rack? If so, how often?

I've read that some people add campden or k-meta each time or every other time when they rack and then there are some said that they don't. Should i be adding this when i rack? If so, how often?

Every 3-4 months, or if you want to be more accurate you can test it with a sulphur test kit and see if it needs it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back