Racking schedule without clearing agents

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by kuziwk, Nov 22, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Nov 22, 2019 #1

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

It seems that if I’m bulk aging for a year, racking every 3 months adds up to quite a few rackings over this period...it’s basically 5 if you include the initial racking from primary. Is it possible or even advisable to extend a racking to 6 months if there is say 1/4” sediment? There may be less it’s just really hard to put a measurement to it.

2. Nov 22, 2019 #2

cmason1957

cmason1957

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer WMT Supporter

I don't think it will cause any real harm to not rack for 6 mints. Might want a bit larger amount of SO2, but other than that go ahead.

Rice_Guy likes this.
  3. Nov 22, 2019 #3

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

Yeah I have means for accurate testing so I will monitor that...just don’t want any off taste. Trying to minimize racking/handling and waste, although my racking has been pretty efficient as of late. I like to prop the carboy up on some cedar shims a day or two before, than gently rack.

It’s actually still the super Tuscan from a while back....still running the clearing agent test vs natural in a Ultra premium kit.

4. Nov 22, 2019 #4

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

I bulk age for about 12 months. I don't rack until just prior to bottling. No issues so far, been doing it this way for several years.

5. Dec 1, 2019 #5

Swedeman

Swedeman

Swedeman

With no additional sulphite additions during that period?

6. Dec 1, 2019 #6

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Reds sit for about 12 months without any additions, whites sit for 6 months. Then they're dosed with So2 and bottled. Reds will sit at least another 6 months before opening the first bottle, whites will sit for at least a month.

7. Dec 2, 2019 #7

jpwatkins9

jpwatkins9

jpwatkins9

As I use clearing agents in the primary and secondary fermentation. I also rack a few times while changing over from the primary to secondary fermenter and then to the carboy for bulk aging. I have found that at the end of the bulk aging, I have very little (but a bit) of sediment in the carboy. The final racking into my bottling bucket with a nice spigot for bottling takes out the last bit. I even tip the bucket (6 gallon) to get the last wine in the bottle and mark that one. When we drink that one it has no sediment in it. Usually drink that bottle first as a test after about a month. Works for me.

8. Dec 2, 2019 #8

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker WMT Supporter

racking can be minimized but so2 additions cannot. should add alt least 1/4 tsp per 5 gallon every three months