Rack, degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see people use the hand held brake bleeder for degas and I've seen it used for racking, id imagine thats slow.
Has anyone tried a pneumatic brake bleeder. I've used them being in the trade. Curious if there was anyone that applied it here. I didnt see it in the search

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-095828_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-095828_eBay.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 32
I have never seen anyone use a hand-held brake bleeder for racking. Was this just to get a siphon started, or was this used differently?

The pneumatic brake bleeder you show seems to be a simple Venturi pump. That should work fine (but they are loud, as you probably know already).

I have never seen anyone use a hand-held brake bleeder for racking. Was this just to get a siphon started, or was this used differently?

The pneumatic brake bleeder you show seems to be a simple Venturi pump. That should work fine (but they are loud, as you probably know already).
Exactly what it is. Its quieter than a vacuum pump im fairly certain. You would just hear hissing mostly.
I saw someone on YouTube rack 5 gallons with a hand pump. Probably a great forearm workout.

I use hand brake bleeder for degassing. The Harbor Freight one is a piston pump so it only pumps a very small air volume per stroke. It works well if there is not too much head space in a carboy. I'm very sure it would not work as a transfer pump because the air volume would be WAY too large and therefore take too much time and effort.

Not in my experience!
Exactly what it is. Its quieter than a vacuum pump im fairly certain. You would just hear hissing mostly.
I saw someone on YouTube rack 5 gallons with a hand pump. Probably a great forearm workout.
It is extremely noisy as Paul pointed out - It needs to be in order to cause the venturi effect. You will also need a GOOD size air compressor to handle the CFM.

Have you not seen the Autosiphon? Single stroke pump. 2 sizes. One stroke and gravity takes over.

Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab. Worked great, no moving parts. All it needs some water pressure. I suspect it could be adapted to drive transfers. An example from Amazon: Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading. There are more styles available, some which screw right onto/into a kitchen faucet.
Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading: Science Lab Pumps: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab. Worked great, no moving parts. All it needs some water pressure. I suspect it could be adapted to drive transfers. An example from Amazon: Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading. There are more styles available, some which screw right onto/into a kitchen faucet.
Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading: Science Lab Pumps: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Interesting and definitely a diy

I use a 12V DC pump as found on Amazon for racking / starting siphons. ,,, It is about as loud as a fish tank air pump and can pull -22 inches Hg. ,,,
Yes in college the water venturi was a standard, 12 volt goes anywhere though.
Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab.

Last edited:
The problem is they waste a lot of water.

I use a 120V transfer pump from Midwest Supplies. Can pump from a carboy on the floor to an elevated carboy. I no longer need gravity and do everything from primary fermentation to subsequent rackings on an elevated counter. The pump takes care of degassing.

I use a 120V transfer pump from Midwest Supplies. Can pump from a carboy on the floor to an elevated carboy. I no longer need gravity and do everything from primary fermentation to subsequent rackings on an elevated counter. The pump takes care of degassing.
These work on pressure though correct?

Back