Rack, degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see people use the hand held brake bleeder for degas and I've seen it used for racking, id imagine thats slow.
Has anyone tried a pneumatic brake bleeder. I've used them being in the trade. Curious if there was anyone that applied it here. I didnt see it in the search

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-095828_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-095828_eBay.jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 32
I have never seen anyone use a hand-held brake bleeder for racking. Was this just to get a siphon started, or was this used differently?

The pneumatic brake bleeder you show seems to be a simple Venturi pump. That should work fine (but they are loud, as you probably know already).

I have never seen anyone use a hand-held brake bleeder for racking. Was this just to get a siphon started, or was this used differently?

The pneumatic brake bleeder you show seems to be a simple Venturi pump. That should work fine (but they are loud, as you probably know already).
Exactly what it is. Its quieter than a vacuum pump im fairly certain. You would just hear hissing mostly.
I saw someone on YouTube rack 5 gallons with a hand pump. Probably a great forearm workout.

I use hand brake bleeder for degassing. The Harbor Freight one is a piston pump so it only pumps a very small air volume per stroke. It works well if there is not too much head space in a carboy. I'm very sure it would not work as a transfer pump because the air volume would be WAY too large and therefore take too much time and effort.

Not in my experience!
Exactly what it is. Its quieter than a vacuum pump im fairly certain. You would just hear hissing mostly.
I saw someone on YouTube rack 5 gallons with a hand pump. Probably a great forearm workout.
It is extremely noisy as Paul pointed out - It needs to be in order to cause the venturi effect. You will also need a GOOD size air compressor to handle the CFM.

Have you not seen the Autosiphon? Single stroke pump. 2 sizes. One stroke and gravity takes over.

Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab. Worked great, no moving parts. All it needs some water pressure. I suspect it could be adapted to drive transfers. An example from Amazon: Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading. There are more styles available, some which screw right onto/into a kitchen faucet.
Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading: Science Lab Pumps: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab. Worked great, no moving parts. All it needs some water pressure. I suspect it could be adapted to drive transfers. An example from Amazon: Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading. There are more styles available, some which screw right onto/into a kitchen faucet.
Nalgene 6140-0010 Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump, Polypropylene, 3/8" NPT Threading: Science Lab Pumps: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Interesting and definitely a diy

I use a 12V DC pump as found on Amazon for racking / starting siphons. ,,, It is about as loud as a fish tank air pump and can pull -22 inches Hg. ,,,
Yes in college the water venturi was a standard, 12 volt goes anywhere though.
Has anyone tried using a Faucet Aspirator Vacuum Pump. You simply attach it to a water faucet and it draws a fairly high volume hard vacuum. I used to use them in the chemistry lab.

Last edited:
The problem is they waste a lot of water.

I use a 120V transfer pump from Midwest Supplies. Can pump from a carboy on the floor to an elevated carboy. I no longer need gravity and do everything from primary fermentation to subsequent rackings on an elevated counter. The pump takes care of degassing.

I use a 120V transfer pump from Midwest Supplies. Can pump from a carboy on the floor to an elevated carboy. I no longer need gravity and do everything from primary fermentation to subsequent rackings on an elevated counter. The pump takes care of degassing.
These work on pressure though correct?

Latest posts

Back