Quick Concord for Bored Wino

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am going to set a goal for myself today. I am going to attempt to make a gallon of Welch's that will be ready to drink by next Friday. I need some input however. I am going to get two half gallon bottles of Welch's and add sugar to an s.g. of 1.085 and pitch yeast a couple hours after pectic enzyme addition. Gonna ferment dry in primary and add a can of concentrate after stablizing. So, I have half a pack of bread yeast left over from a JAOM in the fridge and was wondering if I should use it or just go with a Ec-1118. My rational on the bread yeast was that after the wine has gone dry, a quick sulfite addition would very quickly rid me of any CO2 producing yeasties hence allowing my wine to clear faster. I would degass very thoroughly over two days or so and cold stabilize in the fridge for a few as well. Then rack off and serve by the 18th. What do you all think?

Sounds like an awful lot of stuff to do in one week, don't think it will matter which yeast you use in that short of time. Good luck

Yeah, I am not making a nice concord wine for aging and fancy tannin additions or oaking. I am making a hit it and quit it hobo wine of epic proportions. But in all seriousness I think it could be done. I have several batches at various stages of completion and would like to make something to drink right away. Plus it will save me from buying expensive craft beers that weekend lol. I will post results so that others may replicate my awful experiences.

Sorry but I'm not seeing you being able to ferment to dry, degass and clear all within 10 days. That's a pretty tall order. If you can get it to ferment dry withini 5 days, you could possibly put it in the freezer to get it to drop out.

It may be a stretch. But I have seen some pretty dramatic clearing going on in some wines. I have replicated danger dave's DB in 15 days and indeed it was very clear. At that point it was merely in a gallon carboy with a screw cap in the fridge and did not drop any more sediment. I know that is 15 days not ten. However, I don't mind if I get a little yeast in my glass lol.

I know it is a short period of time. I have replicated Danger's DB in 15 days and it was quite clear at that point. In fact I had it stored in a gallon carboy in the fridge and it never dropped any more sediment in the time that it was in there. About a week. By the way this will not be bottled just stored in the fridge until it has been consumed

Why do people want to make "wine" in10 days? It won't be good, might get you buzzed a little but not much. But if you insist in making hooch then in order for it to ferment to dry quick you will have to raise the temp to between 78 and 80. Warning, you will loose some of the flavor but it will ferment to dry.

Just a suggestion, slow down and enjoy the process. You will learn how to make good wine and impress friends and family with something that is good.

That is the point Dralarms, I already have many batches in various stages of bulk aging. I want to make a quick wine to see if it can be done and create a quaffable product. I know it can be done with DB now I wanna see about the concord. I don't expect it to taste good. Also, how will it only get me buzzed a little and not a lot. Starting gravity was 1.1 so if it ferments dry we will be talking over 15%........

Bread yeast won't get you that far, ec1118 will but unless you incease the temp it will take longer. If you take your time with it you can make a very tasty wine out of welches (don't tell Johnt).

I know lol. I have a recipe I created based on JSWordy's super sugar method that is real good. I did end up using the 1118. Made a real good starter and added it at midnight last night. was fizzing this morning. I am going to borrow a heating pad from my mother to heat up my primary. It is still cool here in Ohio and even with my thermostat set on 72 im sure my must is in the 60s. Dralarms, I vow to make a concord wine in which I take my time, oak, put it through a tannin regiment and age appropriately. It will probably take me till the end of summer to get there though because I have a lot of wine going at the moment.:h

So im gonna whisk the must twice daily. Add energizer when it hits 1.07. When it hits 1.01 ill add bentonite to the primary. When dry I will add campden and sorbate directly to primary and whisk several times during that day (just trying to degas as quickly as possible). Once the sediment settles again it will be racked into two 1/2 gallon carboys and put under airlock. After a good layer of sediment drops --a couple days-- I will rack off the lees into the primary bucket and whisk thoroughly one last time, add another 1/2 campden tablet and rack back to the 1/2 gallon jugs. At this point I will decide whether to place in the fridge or let stand longer.

Last edited:
I hope you plan on adding some sugar to it. That will help its early taste.

It was already at 1.022 this morning. Only 36 hours into the ferment. I can only imagine it will be hot!!! But a can of concentrate for back sweetening should help out!

If you are planning on drinking it all by weeks end no need to sorbate or campton it..... Just my two cents worth.

I have been known to drink fresh cloudy wine before a week (from starting it) has gone by. All in the name of quality controle of corse! Sometimes I like that yeasty taste:) If you like the taste, just need the wine on hand to drink so you don't buy anything, and don't plan on sharing with picky people, why not try it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Ahhh...Mitch Hedberg.....RIP.....The wine is separated into two 1/2 gallon carboys. On Wednesday I will rack into a bucket and add 2 tsp of acid blend and a can of Welch's concentrate. Then back to the jugs and into the fridge till Friday. Then it is drinky time.

I'm gonna quote on this guy

"Why do people want to make "wine" in10 days? It won't be good, might get you buzzed a little but not much. But if you insist in making hooch then in order for it to ferment to dry quick you will have to raise the temp to between 78 and 80. Warning, you will loose some of the flavor but it will ferment to dry."

I have 4 Concord grape wines going right now, DB recipe, and strawberry wine all going right now. Actually I only have 2 and half gallons left 'note I am using 1 gallons' but I started all last Tuesday and we already drank 1 and half gallon of Welchs concord.. I was nervous with my cousin drinking it but he loved it so much me, my wife, his friend all drank that gallon and half in a night. We were all drunk lol. All 12% in a week. But I use good wine yeast for that specific concord, yeast nutrient, energizer, acid testing. All that good stuff, so I say go for it dude.. Now the clearing part idk because I don't use clearing stuff but I'm gonna go buy some tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Already tasted and it is good. No burn for a 14% wine is good. It will be even better when I add the acid blend and can of concentrate!

Back