Question on bulk aging and degassing...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluePat

Junior
Reaction score
We are currently bulk aging a carboy full of Cellar Craft Malbec Shiraz and are ok with leaving it for an extended period. I understand that the CO2 will slowly release during this time, but does anyone know how long it usually takes for that to accomplish, if there is an average time?

Thanks,
Pat

Pat, it is very much an individual preference on bulk aging. I like to bulk age my whites 3-6 months and my reds 9-12 months, though I am not always successful. "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Of course the carboy must be under an air lock and not just sealed with a solid bung, if any CO2 at all is to escape.
Personally, I have never had success waiting on all the CO2 to escape on its own. My experience is that in 18 months, you will still need to degas the wine.

I haven't degassed in a long time - but I vacuum rack my wine - I find that 2-3 vacuum racking's degases the wine pretty thoroughly...

raised a question

Of course the carboy must be under an air lock and not just sealed with a solid bung, if any CO2 at all is to escape.
Personally, I have never had success waiting on all the CO2 to escape on its own. My experience is that in 18 months, you will still need to degas the wine.

I'm long aging my first … a shiraz … from a wineXpert kit … i followed all their instructions up until bottling at 14 days … which means degassed before setting aside to age … should i have waited and degassed after aging? are their advantages one way or the other?

BluePat said:
We are currently bulk aging a carboy full of Cellar Craft Malbec Shiraz and are ok with leaving it for an extended period. I understand that the CO2 will slowly release during this time, but does anyone know how long it usually takes for that to accomplish, if there is an average time?

Thanks,
Pat

Some factors would be if you are aging in glass or oak.
Also, how many times did you rack. Racking can release a lot of CO2.

The vacuum does it every time...totally. Sooner gas is gone, the faster you clear the wine. Usually takes a couple of rackings but worth it.

Some factors would be if you are aging in glass or oak.
Also, how many times did you rack. Racking can release a lot of CO2.

Aging in a glass carboy, and we've racked it once, but will rack it again within a month.

Thanks to all who have replied, your advice is awesome! :b
How come there isn't a smiley toasting with a wine glass?..

Last edited:
:b
Do not bulk age, just to degas. Bulk aging will only give your bottled wine a uniform taste from bottle to bottle, IMO. I like to degas with a mityvac just before clearing, allow to settle for a couple months, then rack to a clean carboy. :b
After that, you can bulk age as long as you add some SO2 every 3-4 months. Then, at your leisure, bottle.
:b

Latest posts

Back