RJ Spagnols Question about weird smelling wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
My Parents just bottled a Johannisberg Riesling (sp?). I wanted to try it eventhough it had not been bottled more than a few days. As soon as I opened the bottle I smelled what reminded me of sewer gases. It doesn't taste bad really, but I can't get past the smell. My Wife smelled it and said it reminded her of yeast. Is it possible it smelled bad because it was just bottled a few days ago, or any ideas?

Thanks...

It is definitely because it was just bottled and opened. You can drink some wine at bottling and even though young it will taste and smell fine. But then if you open one before the bottle shock is over it won't taste anywhere near as good as at bottling. Give it a month MINIMUM after bottling before opening one to sample. If you insist on drinking it that soon, at least decant it an hour ahead of drinking to disperse the off smells at that stage. This is why we all preach patience!

wade said:
Did someone say bottle shock!

I hate it when they say that. So, in a month or 2 it will taste and smell better eh? That's a good thing. I felt bad for my Folks, so I'm glad to hear it will get better with time. I will go back into my patience mode. We just ordered 2 more boxes each, and and some other supplies, so hopefully many good batches of wine to come.

Did they wait any extra time before bottling and degas properly? Did they add any extra k-meta?

As stated, the odor was probably either a little sulfite or CO2 odor. It will go away if the wine was degassed properly. One thing home winemakers can do if this embarrasses them is to decant the wine prior to serving. It will allow these odors to escape and allow the wine to open up some, particularly a young wine. That wine really needs around 6 months in the bottle to reach an acceptable level.

update:
I was at my folks house the other day and decided to open up another bottle to see if it got any better from the last time I tried it. I must say that it is much better after being in the bottle for over a month. I could still smell that funky "sewer gas" type smell, but way less than a month ago.

Latest posts

Back