Question about raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoQuarter

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my uncles told me about making wine from raisins and such from his younger more criminal days in prison.
Well I finally tried it and could not get scum off of top. Made some calls and found that raisins are coated in oil (usually sunflower) to prevent clumping these days.
I have seen a few recipes on here that call for raisins so I was wondering... do you make your own or is there a brand without oil?
Last ones i tried had the little girl on the bag and said no additives but did have the oil.
Is there a way to remove this oil? I used a dry wash rag many times dipped onto top and it actually did turn out drinkable but don't want to do that again.
Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

In 2015 I made a batch (1 gal) of garlic wine for cooking. I used a frozen crushed garlic product from Walmart. Turns out it had canola oil in it which floated to the top and was a concern. Numerous rackings reduced the oil and I finally used a fining agent SuperKleer. SuperKleer goes by another name today (DUALFINE), it is a two-part agent. The aroma was so pungent throughout the house I promised the wife not to make it again.

The only thing I have ever used to clear wine was egg-whites. (mostly wild muscadines and prickly pear).
I suppose I should try some modern clearing agents. I have seen a few recipes on here I would like to try that call for raisins...
one of them happened to be garlic wine for scampi and stuff like that. I was also thinking of putting the primary out in the shop and using a more heat tolerant yeast. My wife is not going to approve of the fragrance either.
Thanks

One of my uncles told me about making wine from raisins and such from his younger more criminal days in prison.
Well I finally tried it and could not get scum off of top. Made some calls and found that raisins are coated in oil (usually sunflower) to prevent clumping these days.
I have seen a few recipes on here that call for raisins so I was wondering... do you make your own or is there a brand without oil?
Last ones i tried had the little girl on the bag and said no additives but did have the oil.
Is there a way to remove this oil? I used a dry wash rag many times dipped onto top and it actually did turn out drinkable but don't want to do that again.
Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

I use to add a pound of raisins to my Dragon Blood batches and never noticed this issue. Perhaps it was just because with all the fruit and the yeast blanket that creates, I just didn't see it. I quit adding it just because I never seemed to have any on hand when I wanted to start my wine.

The only thing I have ever used to clear wine was egg-whites. (mostly wild muscadines and prickly pear).
I suppose I should try some modern clearing agents. I have seen a few recipes on here I would like to try that call for raisins...
one of them happened to be garlic wine for scampi and stuff like that. I was also thinking of putting the primary out in the shop and using a more heat tolerant yeast. My wife is not going to approve of the fragrance either.
Thanks
i rarely use finings but if i do i use either super kleer or dual fine, different brand names but exact same ingredients,
Dawg

I use to add a pound of raisins to my Dragon Blood batches and never noticed this issue. Perhaps it was just because with all the fruit and the yeast blanket that creates, I just didn't see it. I quit adding it just because I never seemed to have any on hand when I wanted to start my wine.
hey Val what color raisins do you use?
Dawg

i buy golden raisins in 5lb bulk, they are sold for wine making, well i ain'
t sure, but them jumbo california golden raisins has never gave me any trouble, i use them for banana wine,
Dawg
Morning Dawg, Can you provide a supplier/website for those golden raisins? Thanks......................Dizzy

Thanks
I have read of the use of cleaned egg shells. I have them crushed and ready to use for fining if needed (keep them in a small sanitized jar).............Dizzy

I have read of the use of cleaned egg shells. I have them crushed and ready to use for fining if needed (keep them in a small sanitized jar).............Dizzy
I do save eggshells. (Have chickens). I dry in oven then run through a coffee grinder. I put them around grapevines and fig trees for added calcium. Gonna try using it as a clearing agent and see how it works. Always been nervous about eggwhites but never had a problem.

Always been nervous about eggwhites but never had a problem.

I too am worried about egg-whites. A lot of people use them, but I worry about salmonella or other risks.
It's probably nothing, but I can't seem to allow myself to do it!

Last edited:
SORRY I WAS SIPPING. LOL whats the difference made to your wines, ?
Dawg

I couldn't tell any difference...I don't have a discerning enough palette to pick up those subtle nuances 🤣🤣🤣

I have read about how one yeast brings out this flavor or that and another effects the taste in such and such a way. So one time I made two batches of the exact same wine and just used different yeasts. I was waiting for this noticable taste difference and couldn't tell one from the other 😅 What's that old adage "I just know what I like"!

I have tried an array of yeasts, and have not seen MUCH of a difference between the strains. Possibly less flavor from 1118, but I'll deal with it!

I couldn't tell any difference...I don't have a discerning enough palette to pick up those subtle nuances 🤣🤣🤣

I have read about how one yeast brings out this flavor or that and another effects the taste in such and such a way. So one time I made two batches of the exact same wine and just used different yeasts. I was waiting for this noticable taste difference and couldn't tell one from the other 😅 What's that old adage "I just know what I like"!
yup. that's what i figured.,,, on yeasts i keep only 2 types ,,, EC-1118 & K1V-1116
Dawg

Interesting thread that sparked some research from me. Saw that organic sun dried raisins have no oils applied. You guys probably already knew that, though.

I was able to cultivate some indigenous yeast from a handful of raisins we had purchased from our local supermarket that were boxed and labeled as organic sun dried. So no oil.

Back